Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Khmer Angkor Empire XII Century

Thanks. Yes I have some good visuals online and have been using Plasticsoldierreview as a reference - Now is the fun part to try and match up the suitable available figures- but your suggestions seem good. Thanks!

If your heart is set on plastic figures then a lot of conversions will be required, which in itself can be fun. However, if you would rather have figures which are already designed for the purpose you require, you may wish to have a look at Irregular Miniatures and their 28mm range of metal figures. This may also be of interest:

http://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/2017/05/khmer-khollection-khomplete.html

Yes unfortunately it's the costs that will rule out metal figs, especially with the difficulties I've had trying to get figures here. Thanks though.

Fascinating army! For me the most logical base faction to use would be King Porus' Ancient Indians from HaT and Lucky Toys (produced by Caesar), then work from there. These sets should give you some unarmoured infantry and elephants, then some armoured components could be mixed in from other sets when desired.

The Khmer had excellent trade connections with most southeastern Asian societies, so here are a few other ideas:

Linear-A 008 The Silk Road in Ancient Times- Gives you some nice pack animals and some Chinese traders that would fit right in.

RedBox Imjin Wars Line- The Japanese are probably a little too distinctive without a bunch of remodeling, but the Chinese and Korean sets could offer some plausible options when used with the ancient Indians.

Strelets #025 Medieval Crossbowmen- May seem like a bit of a head scratcher, but crossbowmen were an important part of Khmer armies at this time and if you need groups of crossbowmen in our scale then this is basically the only choice. A few of the hooded and kettel helmet poses could be passed off as Khmer with some clever artwork and remodelling.

HaT Sumerians- Great source for a concentrated group of unarmoured spearmen and archers. The helmets are distinctly Sumerian and so present a bit of a problem, but outside of that their dress is rather Khmer or could represent something like Srivijaya to the southeast.

Thanks! Will look into those for sure. Appreciate the help.

Hi, thanks to everyone who previously replied.

(I can't figure out how to added images here) but I found another great link with images of Khmer armies and tactics (it's a FB link though won't work if I add it here).