Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Alan's "Lawrence of Arabia" Contribution

Very kind of you gents, yes the flag is that of the Arab revolt, and the colours were taken with a little artistic licence from all the Osprey titles and from any colour plates I could find on the net, some were uniformed even more colourfully like the royal guards. But painting them less vibrantly would have been less fun.

Hello Alan,
I, also, am very impressed with your painting prowess. The details and techniques that you have attained set great standards. Would you be so kind as to divulge your techniques for painting stripes on clothing?
I've just realised that I have a bucket-full of WWI Palestine boxed figures including Lawrence: I must get around to painting them; when I have finished the conversions.

Alan, your Lawrence of Arabia figures are a great treat to behold! Real eye candy. No, I doubt the bright colors would hold in the desert, but then again, thinking about it - if I painted up my Nappies the way they REALLY looked they wouldn't be so pretty either. I have a vision in my head of two armies facing each other at La Haye Sainte all mud-brown. When was the last time we saw that in a diorama or war game?

Great job and thanks for sharing.

Murat , thank you, but I am going to have to disappoint you, they were nothing more complex than free hand, they look better in the photo`s than under the magnifier, but base colour painted ,then free hand painted vertical stripes, then touched up with base colour where I had obviously erred. I almost painted over both do them as just one colour, but glad now I persevered with the original plan and stuck to my guns.

Thank's Alan,
I shall use my Chinese brushes for the fine detail.
I used to use (and still do) use the fine art brushes (Royal) 000; 00, and 0. (which are expensive). Last year, I had an aberration and, on eBay, I bought 100 micro-fine-detail brushes for £6.74, from China. Lo and behold I believe that they are as good as the art ones.
They have gone up in price, but at £7.91 for 100 they are still very good value.
If you are interested the eBay number is 363043564134.

Thank you Murat, Brushes like paints I am promiscuous with, always believing there could be something better out there, but I have settled in resent years to Games workshop brushes and some German made brushes I buy on ebay 5/0 and 10/0 for most of the detailed stuff, but the super fine stuff is reserved for the phyco brush from Army painter. I will give you recommendation a look,thanks again.

Fabulous and somewhat terrifying horde of charging Arabs. Great figures and wonderful painting. Love the guy in the stripes.

As I recall, the first set of Airfix figures I painted as a youngster were the Bedouins; I painted them nearly every colour I had a bottle of Airfix paint for. Arabia is bang in the middle of The Silk Road isn't it? And nomads love colourful things as long as they're portable.