Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Long Range Desert Group Painted

Really nice Alan. Where did you get the vehicles from? Was it Matchbox that half a lifetime ago issued a set with the Chevrolet and a Willy's on this subject? I vaguely remember owning such a set in the 70's. I do still have 2 1:35 LRDG trucks on display(I know a moment of weakness diverting from 1:72)

Smashing painting, Alan. The skin tones and different clothing the chaps are wearing have been painted very crisply. What paints do you use for the different surfaces?
Nice array of Chevolets. Are they the De Agostini diecast version?

A very well painted group. I like the variety here, both of dress and headgear; the seated Arab guide/interpreter, with his prized Lee Enfield, is an additional point of interest. The composition with the vehicles and sand-cliff forming the background to the figures is very effective.

It is clearly impossible to show a dispersed grouping of vehicles, and the trucks here look very good. I also would be interested to know which manufacturer makes these. I have four of the old 1/76 Matchbox kits, unmade, and now probably suffering from brittle plastic syndrome, which seems to affect these old mouldings quite badly. Some replacements are required for my Western Desert forces.

Yes, as Paul observes, sand everywhere including in the coffee...although fortunately not in mine as I type this. Well done Alan!

PS: When I looked on the Model Hobbies site earlier I noticed that they are completely sold out of Vallejo Matt Iraqi Sand. Who has bought up all this stock I wonder?

Dear Alan,

As the other gents have said; another fine contribution.

I especially like the last three photos of the men 'on location'. Beautiful backdrop, vehicles and arrangement of the figures.

Regards, James

Thanks chaps, obviously I really enjoyed painting these, room for more as they still leave gaps that need to be filled. The trucks, the middle one is a Dragon kit,the other two are 3D printed, purchased on ebay from a chap in Portugal, they are basic, but tick the boxes and are a great deal less expensive than dragons kits.

WELL DONE ALAN!!
Just superb, for once more time!!!

Thanks on the information on the trucks, Alan.

The Dragon kit looks great, but I think this is out of stock just about everywhere at present. It is also fairly expensive.

For anyone looking for absolute top of the range models (albeit in 1/76), in metal and resin, Milicast do several LRDG models: http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.php?productid=2808&cat=0&page=1

The main catch is that these are even more expensive than Dragon. I may have to see if my old Matchbox kits are still worth building, and live with the slight difference in scale between 1/76 and 1/72.

The 3d one`s are £6 each and good value, and as can be seen hard at a glance to tell from the dragon kit.

Wonderful painted.... :+1: