Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FFL in attack

I see PSR`S review is up ,and no surprises, the missing canteens are an inexplicable omission. But having very recently had them on the table under the brush I have to say I really liked them, once cleaned up they had a very good feel, the rifles and bayonets were the best on the range to date for looking right,ie not chunky, the bugler looked like he was destined for one of the other sets at some point in his life,but back pack aside sits well enough with these guys, and his banner on his instrument added a bit of colour for painting. Overall it`s a thumbs up from me,as I said I really liked them.

Re: FFL in attack

I really like this set too. I think they would make great opponents for the Arabs in Skirmish/in Retreat.
The entire FFL range has been great. The hobby has needed new FFL figures for many years and Strelets is finally giving them to us and then some.

I hope we get a mule train, riders on mules, "in square" formation, more figures in fatigue dress as in the recent arty set...

My own thoughts on gaps, are prone firing poses,both sides, casualty figures both sides, Arabs in camp and FFL cavalry, they were a bit later than our period covers, but hell we have them on camels so why not.

While it is a bit of a silly mistake for a set like this, i suppose someone could always pretend that they are on a "one way" mission & have simply discarded their canteens having ran out of water?! Long stretch of the imagination granted, but they are great figures to get too hung up on the canteens.

Im sure Strelets will address the mistake in the future.

As tempted as I am to get back into the FFL (one of my favorite topics growing up), I imagine I would get some "green stuff" to add canteens - should be a simple fix. I love the poses and overall look of all the sets - both FFL and Arabs. I can forgive the real and alleged inaccuracies as with my other FFL figures from decades past I can have a blast recreating beloved movies from my childhood. Thanks for that.

Please some mule trains, carts and Spanish mounted and dismounted troops for RIF war. Strelets you are doing a fantastic job. A heartfelt thanks.

Hope you keep making FFL, especially classic Beau Geste sets.

I'll be using your Attacking and Camping sets to garrison the forts and man the walls of the forts. Finally some figures without the backpacks, although I love the other sets just as much!

Hope to see some casualties just like the ACW sets - both prone and standing.

As a kind of "P.S." to my first comments, I took a look at all three Beau Geste movies and it looks like ...

Beau Geste 1926 - Men in Fort Zinderneuf at the walls wearing both haversacks and canteens
Beau Geste 1939 - Men in Fort Zinderneuf at the walls not wearing canteens nor haversacks
Beau Geste 1966 (my favorite) - No one wearing canteens nor haversacks at the walls in the fort, and best as I can make out, not wearing either at the stone camp walls in the bivouacing battle scene

Yes, makes no sense in reality, but who really knows in the heat of battle.

Basically, when a Legionnaire picks up and puts on his braces, it has 3 ammo pouches and the bayonnete all attached. That gets you out of bunk or blanket and in the fight.

By the way, the Italeri FFL do not have the third ammo pouch on the back of the belt. And Airfix has only one ammo pouch on the front, a round canteen and no haversacks. These details never have and never will stop me from buying these great figures.

Last fact, I worked in gold mining in the western U.S. deserts and forests doing claim staking and surverying (I'm not a geologist; I was a landman) and I bought my braces and two ammo pouches for the front of belt and two canteens for the back - all Viet Nam era equipment from the surplus stores. I would never, ever leave my truck without both canteens, although some other guys would. My buddies called me "Rambo", but they never turned down a drink out of my canteens.

So who really knows? Anyway, "I'll drink to that!" :palm_tree: :cactus: :earth_africa: :earth_americas: