Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Then Christmas Number 1

I think the the Desert War is very popular in the UK and there have been almost no new figures released for it in the last 20 years. So every WWII UK gamer will buy some.

These recent Strelets SAS sets are very nice. I don't really do British WWII but I intend to buy at least one set of each,hopefully next month before they all sell out!

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

As a relative newcomer to the hobby (6 years) I am still surprised as to the varied reasons enthusiasts visit this and similar websites.
More than a little slow on the uptake I thought that it would be largeley wargamers and diorama makers. In which case they would be painted. Whilst I can see they do play a part this is by no means the end of it. I hadn't considered collectors, although I am the proud possessor of "The One Inch Army" and should have been prepared for collectors.
In my innocence, I dont buy a set without the eventual view of painting it. Likewise i cannot start painting a set without painting all the figures including numerous duplications. I therefore restrict my purchasing in accordance with what I foresee as manageable. After visiting this website in particular over the past year I have come to the conclusion that if the manufacturers had to rely solely on customers like me there would be no industry.
As it stands at the moment a set costs me roughly the equivalent of two pints of lager. As it takes me two weeks to paint this works out at a very economical hobby even taking in the peripherals. In addition some of the metal sets become cost effective when viewed against painting time.
This brings me round to the subject at long last. I could see how the LRDG would cause an initial interest,it is a splendid set (and even I can see how Strelets have come on in recent years) but unlike the Napoleonics and the most recent Spanish Succession you wouldn't buy boxes of them or would you.
I am now having to revise my attitude to painting all of the figures and may even dip my toe in conversion waters.
What a fascinating pastime and I am only glad we have these websites. Even before Covid longtime friends stated to cross the road to avoid me.
All the best for the coming year.

I agree with Roger the new Napoleonic sets were not so interesting. I too think that there are too many standing posed sets I would probably stop the standing at ease sets myself.
This is the first new releases in five years I have not bought any of the releases And don't intend to buy any.
What I Need & I think most nappy fans would agree is firing lines for our troops not more standing figures.:money_mouth_face:

I agree. I would vote for real French fusiliers and elites in correct proportions(as closely as you can get with 45-48 men), both in greatcoat and summer uniform marching, attacking firing and for their antagonists attack and firing lines, including early and late Austrian fusiliers with and without winter coat. In particular the latter would be ideal, since the existing sets of grenadiers can then be kept in reserve either to break through if the tide is favourable or to form the rearguard when the fusiliers are routed. I believe that was part of the Austrian strategy. Great options for modellers from all walks of the hobby.

As from me, I have bought 13 new strelets sets, 4 desert theme, 3 WSS, 3 Rif war, 1 wiking and 2 ww2 Japanese.
And I am from Greece...
Merry Christmas everyone, the fact is that LRDG have won!!

MARIOS KONTOGIANNIS
As from me, I have bought 13 new strelets sets, 4 desert theme, 3 WSS, 3 Rif war, 1 wiking and 2 ww2 Japanese.
And I am from Greece...
Merry Christmas everyone, the fact is that LRDG have won!!
:+1: :smile: :smiley: :smile: :wink:

Hello,

I find it not surprising that the LRDG/SAS-sets are doing well at a retailer in the UK.

But is this representative for sales in Europe, USA an all other countries ?
Here in Germany, sales of the Napoleonic sets of Strelets are very far ahead. The LRDG /SAS sets, on the other hand, are hardly in demand. So the success is relative.... depending on which market you are looking at.

As a dioramamaker i find the Standing at Ease/Order Arms-Sets very, very useful.
For example, if you look at the troops at a large re-enactment, you will find that about 60% of the troops are in the supply. 20% are in marching movements and only the remaining 20% are really in battle. Therefore, it is not surprising that even at the Battle of Waterloo, only about 60% of the existing units took part in combat actions. At the Battle of Ligny it was comparable. There, too, about 40% of the French and Prussian troops have not been in combat at all.
So if you want to represent larger troop units, soldiers in retirement are urgently needed.

And STRELETS is the only manufacturer that has recognized this gap. Adding up the sales of all napoleonic St-at-E & O-Arms sets is likely to result in sums that far outstlast all other sets.

Gerd
Hello,

I find it not surprising that the LRDG/SAS-sets are doing well at a retailer in the UK.

But is this representative for sales in Europe, USA an all other countries ?
Here in Germany, sales of the Napoleonic sets of Strelets are very far ahead. The LRDG /SAS sets, on the other hand, are hardly in demand. So the success is relative.... depending on which market you are looking at.

As a dioramamaker i find the Standing at Ease/Order Arms-Sets very, very useful.
For example, if you look at the troops at a large re-enactment, you will find that about 60% of the troops are in the supply. 20% are in marching movements and only the remaining 20% are really in battle. Therefore, it is not surprising that even at the Battle of Waterloo, only about 60% of the existing units took part in combat actions. At the Battle of Ligny it was comparable. There, too, about 40% of the French and Prussian troops have not been in combat at all.
So if you want to represent larger troop units, soldiers in retirement are urgently needed.

And STRELETS is the only manufacturer that has recognized this gap. Adding up the sales of all napoleonic St-at-E & O-Arms sets is likely to result in sums that far outstlast all other sets.
Interesting viewpoint, and an entirely understandable one since we should be thinking in terms of the European, North American and Worldwide market for these sets, and also taking a long view.

It is clear that Napoleonics and WW2 have been, and remain, the most popular periods in 1/72 plastic, and indeed probably for all wargaming scales. Something a bit different will certainly sell well in the short term, but at the end of the day good sets representing the major combatants will stand the test of time and sell well. It is surely no surprise that the re-issued Strelets set of British Napoleonic infantry is up there in the Hannants best-sellers; it is the sort of set that people want to buy, and buy in quantity (not just a single box).

I agree with all the points made here and elsewhere about the need for Napoleonic infantry in action, and in 'march attack' to used on the battlefield/table-top. The same for cavalry. To float just one of example of why this is valid from the sales point of view: I may buy one token set of the new Napoleonic Russian Infantry standing set, although to be honest I don't need it: most of my Napoleonic Russian infantry is made by A N Other manufacturer and is in a variety of useful battle-field poses. I have lots of Russian infantry already.

However, were Strelets to make Russian infantry in action/firing, especially Jager or infantry advancing/firing in greatcoats, I'd be persuaded to buy more than one or two boxes. These would provide a compelling reason to me to buy even more Russian infantry. I could persuade myself to do this. It's simple really.

The same goes for infantry for the 1815 hundred days. Do I need more Prussian, French or British/KGL infantry? No. But I would buy other allied nations if the sets were good and the poses appropriate ie: in action, not standing. Likewise for Prussian cavalry, British and allied light cavalry, etc.

That sums it up nicely for me as well Minuteman. Yes I would buy every decent Napoleonic (and sometimes colonial) set. The only difference is that I would welcome standing cavalry sets for the other nations as well. There are plenty of wild charging cavalry sets about, but since they were usually kept in reserve by all nations(except by Ney at Waterloo), standing sets of dragoons, chasseurs/jaeger, cuirassiers and hussars both in winter attire and normal gear would add value. Just make sure that the flags are appropriate for cavalry or not included at all since most light cavalry did not bring them into battle.

Agreed about the cavalry. Sabres drawn, resting on shoulders while standing awaiting orders would suit me. I wouldnt bother with standard bearers for cavalry to be honest. Id rather another officer or even an NCO. If the cavalry set is one thats in combat or charging, a falling wounded pose would be better than a standard bearer in that context.

As for the standing sets of infantry, yes, i agree Gerd there is a place for them, but I dont think it should become the entire basis of a range of Napoleonic infantry. One set for each nation with a mix of the standing poses included would probably of been enough. After all, are we going to see a set each for infantry firing stood up, a set for kneeling firing, a set reloading stood up, a set kneeling reloading etc etc?
Yes I have bought some of the standing sets, but no where near as many as I would if they had been in firing, in defence/square, advance etc etc. The Marching and Attack sets i bought way more of than the standing ones.

Put it this way, taking the Brunswick set as an example, how would sales be if it had been released as the line/light "in square" as opposed to just the Leib battalion standing?

Put another way, recently talking about getting kids interested, what would capture a kids imagination more? A set of Infantry that can make a heroic stand/successful attack? Or a set just standing there as if being inspected? I know which set I would (& did!!) choose!!

We're talking about Hannants most popular list. Yes this is one shop and doesnt represent every corner of the globe. However what I have done is offer my opinions as to why certain Nap sets havent done so well. I would love Napoleonic sets doing every single thing a soldier could be expected to do, doesnt mean some of those things would make great sellers though.

Hi
Would love to find a place that sells Strelets figures in Ontario . They look great.
Cheers
David

Like many folks on this forum I've been collecting toy soldiers for many years and have a huge collection; many thousands painted and many, many more remaining to be painted. Knowing I have many more miles in the rearview than I have ahead I doubt I'll ever finish the figures I have waiting and find myself abandoning many projects and eras to pursue my interests.

Reluctantly, I stopped collecting WW2 in 1/72 scale preferring the more colorful pre-20th Century "Age of Muskets." I love the LRDG figures and am glad my friend Alan (among others) has finally gotten his long sought-after set. It doesn't make much difference to me other than I'm happy for my fellow collectors and it gives me a chance to "catch up" on my painting while I'm waiting for new sets in my now-limited range of interest.

Now concerning the "at-ease" and other relatively stationary sets Strelets-R has been producing in prodigious quantities the last couple years or so I might be in the minority but I am all for them. I have literally decades of 1/72 Napoleonics from about every major producer (that I know of) in all those years I've collected hordes of firing and loading poses - I won't reject any new ones produced but I don't really "need" any more. What has been lacking for me are the aforementioned 60% of an army that is behind the forward line of battle waiting their turn to go in or moving from "point A" to "point B" - remember when you were doing good to get four or six marching figures or three or four standing figures in a 48 figure box? How many boxes it took to get a decent formation together?

What Strelets has done is filled a huge gap in that area. Looking at what they did with their ACW series I have no doubt they have firing lines up their sleeves - but for me, I'll be glad when I can finally line up my entire armies with combined new troops and old figures. I just hope I don't run out of table...

"And STRELETS is the only manufacturer that has recognized this gap."

I'm with you Gerd, I really like the quality, novelty and variety of Strelets' offerings. It was great in the most recent release to have a range of eras and campaigns represented, not to mention types of troops and poses. Something for so many of us, as the comments above attest.

I have all of the Napoleonic sets from that release on order from my 'local' supplier so they should arrive sometime in the New Year. Dunno if that makes me part of a 'silent majority' or the exception that proves the general rule?

Two or three sets of each.

- Those Bavarians are too lovely to pass up (as the others have been) and I am happy to have a 'luxury' quantity of them, especially for the ability to mix and match poses across units or to make units in a specific set of poses.

- By serendipity Strelets' late Russians came at a perfect time for me to get figures together for plans for the 'Napoleonic' vigbicentennial /quasquibicentennial (1796–1815: 2021–2035). These latest are a great addition to those. I am hoping that Strelets plan to complete the 'series'?!

- The Prussian 7th Uhlans are a beautiful set with great potential for conversion too. Hopefully a couple of those will be 'enough' for me...

One shop does not the market make. I'd love to see Strelets' own data on sales, just for these or even across their vast catalogue(!), but I respect that this may be commercial in confidence.

Regards, James

Actually only the WSS British Cavalry (position 11) and LRDG at rest (position 20) are still under den TOP20 by Hannants.

By the big german e-shop Kamar and after 10 days the WSS british Cavalry (formerly 50 boxes) is already sold-out, the LRDG- and SAS-sets (formerly 40) are between 11-14 still to buy - the bavarian sets (each 50) are around 9 and foreign legion sets around 24.

Minature-sets aren´t short-run-events or cinema-blockbusters. The first week doesn´t say much ...

And I share the interest to receive more action and shooting poses in the next Napoleonics sets - especially russians, prussians and brunswicks.

I like very much the recently presented WSS french dragoons-set. An action (shooting, fighting, scouting) dragoon-set would been a dream for a very numerous french cavalry type with many regiments. And surely WSS austrians.too....

sansovino
Actually only the WSS British Cavalry (position 11) and LRDG at rest (position 20) are still under den TOP20 by Hannants.

By the big german e-shop Kamar and after 10 days the WSS british Cavalry (formerly 50 boxes) is already sold-out, the LRDG- and SAS-sets (formerly 40) are between 11-14 still to buy - the bavarian sets (each 50) are around 9 and foreign legion sets around 24.

Minature-sets aren´t short-run-events or cinema-blockbusters. The first week doesn´t say much ...

And I share the interest to receive more action and shooting poses in the next Napoleonics sets - especially russians, prussians and brunswicks.

I like very much the recently presented WSS french dragoons-set. An action (shooting, fighting, scouting) dragoon-set would been a dream for a very numerous french cavalry type with many regiments. And surely WSS austrians.too....
I agree, the WoSS French Dragoons set looks very good indeed based on the master figures we have seen.

Austrian infantry and cavalry (cuirassiers, maybe also hussars) can surely be justified in this increasingly popular range.

I'd like also to see some dismounted French Dragoons, although I accept that it will be possible to convert these from existing figures. But even so.....

Dear Minuteman,

you have mentioned it already that you can create easily dismounted dragoons with existing miniatures (the horses from the new set and the dismounted soldiers with slightly transformed french grenadiers or head swaps).
I think the need for fighting or attacking dragoons on horses is still greater.... dragoons were the main french cavalry type!

Hey guys,

Of course, I'm happy for Alan that his big wish has gone into fulfillment and that there are finally such beautiful LRDG sets. :wink:

And the sales success in the UK is also great. Because only if STRELETS sells many sets, new sets will also come on to the market.

@Alan Buckingham:
I think the LRDG sets were your best Christmas present? Right?? :heart_eyes:

Maybe this set of Black Dog is interesting for you :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Dog-1-72-British-SAS-LRDG-Jeep-Chevrolet-N-Africa-42-Accessories-T72065-/201076163588

Very interesting discussion about the new Napoleonic sets. I think they all look great, but I am only focusing on the "On the March" and "In Attack" sets because they are the most active. Although the other figures standing at ease, at order arms and at shoulder arms are lovely sets, they seem more appropriate for the parade ground than for the battlefield, although I don't know if they may have also been in these formations while waiting their turn to go into battle.
It is also my hope that Strelets will produce In Attack sets for the French, Russians and Prussians.
But overall this is a great range. Am also very happy for the LRDG sets, as the only previous set of these men by another manufacturer was badly sculpted and very hard to get anyway.