Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New releases ...and Friday

The good news ,the LRDG and SAS sets are now 5,6 and 7 of Hannants best sellers this week after a little over a day of being on sale to buy, get you sculptor on the desert stuff Strelets, none of the new nappy sets are even close. Friday this week falls on Christmas day..... could there be an early Friday this week ?

Re: New releases ...and Friday

I hope this can happened for real, Alan. We stand at ease and wait.

Alan Buckingham
The good news ,the LRDG and SAS sets are now 5,6 and 7 of Hannants best sellers this week after a little over a day of being on sale to buy, get you sculptor on the desert stuff Strelets, none of the new nappy sets are even close. Friday this week falls on Christmas day..... could there be an early Friday this week ?
What is actually more relevant is that 11 of the 20 best sellers at Hannants as of today are Strelets sets (new or re-released): One of these sets is a re-released British Napoleonic ('Nappy') set which has already sold out once or twice this year. This is good news for the 1/72nd hobby. But in the case of Hannants this week, it is impossible to draw conclusions from sales over such a short period of time.

Decent WW2 sets will always sell well, no surprises there. But I for one can only justify one set each of the LRDG sets, likewise the excellent Afrika Korps mortar set; but I'll buy 10 or 12 boxes of WoSS British Cavalry, let alone the forthcoming French cavalry sets.

The bottom line is...keep making the sets Strelets, and we will buy them!

PS: My first batch of WoSS British Cavalry has just been notified as arriving tomorrow...and will be on the painting table on Boxing Day.

It is indeed a marathon and not a sprint, but these early indicators are usually good indicators. A case in point was Hat`s Zulu war 17th lancers , spent years trying to convince them they would sell like hot cakes, what happens they release them and they sell out in record time, and I could give other examples. So it looks like they will be a real winner, and there are more desert gaps still to fill.

I think most of us knew the LRDG sets would be good sellers. There were some who rubbished the idea but these were in the minority. Well done to Alan for perservering for his LRDG.

As for "nappy" sets, and speaking as a Napoleonics fan, i think some of the problem is that the various "standing about" sets, while excellent sculpting, dont really appeal to those who want their figures in some form of active battle, whether that be for someone doing a diorama of a battle or a wargamer.
I think if future Napoleonic sets had more focus on firing/reloading, attacking and defending, keeping the marching sets also, the sales would be different. It would rival Hats "M.A.C" format. The ACW sets i would say were a benchmark for future production.

I cant speak for everyone but I for one have only bought just a couple of boxes of Brits at ease, and same for Brits order arms & Brits shoulder arms. The attack and marching sets i bought more of. Highlanders i only had 1 box of in attack because i needed highlanders either in square or in defensive/firing lines. Standing figures were of no use to me.

The French Line Infantry again while excellent, havent really appealed to me compared to other sets available, which in themselves are limited if wanting a good proper set of 1812-1815 French.

However there are those who do like those sets, but in terms of sales, i think the more "active" orientated sets are where the sales are.

Re: New releases ...and Friday...and Napoleonics

Agreed to all of the views on this and other related Forum threads. Almost any new set is a 'good set' for our hobby, and we are lucky indeed to have such a flow of interesting and well-made sets coming from manufacturers, Strelets in particular.

It has been said before, but we are still awaiting the 'definitive' French Infantry set for 1812-15, correctly uniformed ie: preferably not greatcoated, but wearing something that is a reasonable representation of late French infantry in 'summer field uniform', with a good variety of poses allowing marching and fighting/firing units to be modelled, and with appropriate 'command' figures. Strelets have proven that they have perfected sculpting of high quality Napoleonics sets. It is surely but a small step for Strelets ('..but a big step for Napoleonic fans') to model this/these definitive French sets in 2021?

And I bet that this would prove another best seller.

A Peaceful and Happy Christmas to all! :santa:

Re: New releases ...and Friday...and Napoleonics

I mostly agree with Minuteman's and previous contributors' comments. However, I would not discard decent sets of real French fusiliers in greatcoats since all greatcoats issued sofar have basically been elites, with most of them even missing the markings of their elite status(epaulettes). Admittedly, I have still bought them and painted them, adding epaulettes with green stuff to some representing voltigeurs/carabiniers, with the chasseurs having discarded the epaulettes. I designated them light infantry in greatcoats. But something in the back of my head keeps nagging......