Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Expensive ?

Sounds good. Y'know, if Strelets just bagged unsprued figures they could recycle all that plastic! But getting a fantasy army going at that price IS cheap!

I don't know anything about short-run plastic figures and kits, but my understanding of "long-run" stuff is that the cost of the plastic is a tiny fraction of the costs. On another forum, I asked how much it costs to make a mold and I got the answer, £40,000 will get you a small uncomplicated mold, for a lorry cab for example.

Similarly, the masters don't cost very much relatively speaking either. A master for a Tank Mark V, for instance, costs about £150. Hint Hint, Strelets!

But they're not expensive figures, so we can moan about something else now! How about all the holidays our democratically elected governments take at our expense; how much do their holidays cost us!

I don't find Strelets-R box prices particularly expensive even now, and nor are Linear-B box prices, but I do find that European sellers of Linear-B products charge a lot for postage to the UK. I am therefore frustrated to find that sets that I really want are to be sold by Linear-B, not Strelets-R. I understand the point that these sets are being sponsored by Linear-B and they would probably not otherwise be made, but it would be good if they could find a British seller.

and, as an after thought, if PDA is paying £5.00 for a pint of beer, then he needs to get himself to Lancashire, where we pay £2.80 per pint.

I seriously gave up. Model Hobbies are not stocking the. The prices ARE high to buy into the UK. But as I understand it the sets are limited like Strelets sets so it is either buy from Europe or miss out. Sadly, I'm going to have to miss out!

"European sellers of Linear-B products charge a lot for postage to the UK"

I dont usually buy from the UK for precisely the same reason postage is too much except for the odd seller... so much for the free market...

I think there has to be an number of sets produced to justify the tooling and the tool itself is going to vary in cost based on a lot of different criteria...

Think about it for a moment though.... if only 3000 sets are produced from a short run tool/mould and they retail at 6-7€... and compare the difference in average price between single and multi-tool sets...

How much does it cost to make a sort run tool? its not rocket science as they say....