The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thruxton

I have never been to Thruxton before and note that the event is a one day affair (great for saving costs).
Are we able to park the trailer there the night before(26th) the event?

Re: Thruxton

We can only get a Thruxton race by taking part in a single day event unless we want to be at a truck meeting [which after last year's aggro we did not because of the anti-social paddock behaviour..]and generally 2 races in an afternoon is considered undesirable..hence we got to race at both Brands and Thruxton by having single rounds.

However, you can gain access to the paddock the night before and there are a number of good places to stay overnight.

Remember to fit your 3.62 diff or even a 3.34 if you can find one. I have one but sadly car not ready for that event. Tom Bellamy used a 3.34 to set pole some years back in your car although I doubt he got out of 3rd until after the complex..it is very fast out the back. I would seriously recommend to any Thruxton 'novice' a coaching session from Bill Coombs at the Thruxton race school before the event.

Jamie

Jamie
Can I question your comments ref the Truck meeting last year at Thruxton?
I for one am 180 degrees opposed to your observations.
It was great to race in front of a crowd and the paddock was full of friendly and enthusiastic visitors - just like the old days.
For me it was the best meeting of last year.
I'd be interested in other views.
Pete

You have probably seen the video of a lap of Thruxton shot from Ian Crombie's car on the site. If not follow the link from http://www.clubmans.org.uk/registerfiles/video.html - it might help.

Pete

Yes indeed it was great to race in front of a crowd [those who did race of course]and we also had a great social event in the evening. The issue was the racket, gen sets, lights and even fights going on all night and finding myself challenging thieves and yobs in the paddock at 0430 [nicking stuff from 'your' [ie Freemans] patch was not the most conducive to a great weekend.So for those who enjoyed an undisturbed night and were not policing our paddock for the benefit of all others I guess it was just perfect!

Well if we get the opportunity for 2011 let's vote on it.
I vote in favour, you'll be against.....hung so far!

I'm with Pete. Lovely when there's a crowd. I'm not a great fan of the trucks and the damage/dirt they inflict on the track and grass verges but those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Everyone needs a good thrash round Hampshire. Were the attempted/successful thefts reported to BARC?

I wasn't aware that Clubmans were in the habit of damaging the kerbs, verges or track or throwing dirt and stones on it either! Neither have I been aware of any fights or thieving among us, so I don't quite understand the 'glass houses' reference I am afraid...

I do of course note the importance to some of racing in front of a crowd!

The importance of the venue is obvious, that is why in 10 years of managing the calendar I think we missed it once