The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PRESS RELEASE 11th December 2009

The Clubmans Register

PRESS RELEASE 11th December 2009

More power for Clubmans

The Clubmans Register - celebrating its 45th Anniversary in 2010 - has announced a new "Proto" Class for the 2010 BARC Dunlop Championship. Running alongside the existing "Cup" class, ‘Proto’ will have 170 bhp DVA engines with 4 or 5 speed H pattern or sequential gearboxes, and with "flat-shift paddle systems" allowed. 2011 will see another power increase to 190bhp for the "Proto" DVA units, while still allowing the existing 130bhp "Cup" cars to continue indefinitely. Register Chairman, Jamie Champkin said, "I'm delighted that from 2010 Clubmans cars will be lapping in F3 times once again while still concentrating on cost-capping. The Clubmans Classic, Cup and Proto formulae give drivers the thrill of slicks, wings and downforce, plus safety and a friendly Paddock. With this new class we are not only re-introducing extreme race car performance but also reopening the door for inventive engineers as well. We currently have a number of motorsport engineering graduates and undergraduates bringing their expertise to the formulae and also gaining valuable experience themselves. In addition, some successful and renowned race car engineers have also returned to our midst." Eight cars are already committed to the new class for the season's start at Oulton Park on March 27th. Mallock Sports has immediately confirmed a new order for their latest "Proto" Clubmans chassis. Existing "Cup" cars can be upgraded for under £3,000. email jamie@champkin.co.uk for details.

Re: PRESS RELEASE 11th December 2009

Hi all. Have I missed the boat, and/or not in the loop, (or thick) but could somebody explain what comprises a DVA engine?

Merry Christmas and a successful New Year

DVA is the name of the company that supplies the parts for the new class. The engine is the existing Cup one upgraded (in situ) but badged DVA. More detail will follow once the final fitting cost has been approved by Pete Richings and his group. Ed'

I had long thought that some extra power would suit the formula well, and it always made sense that the the modern Clubmans cars should be at least as quick as those racing in Classic Clubmans. I hope that those existing members wanting more speed can enjoy the option to upgrade rather than move to other formulae, and of course I also hope that the extra performance will attract racers and engineers from other formulae looking for great value for money racing at seriously fast speeds. Good luck to you on this very important development for Clubmans racing.

Just as an addendum -the announcement mentions the first race at Oulton on the 27thg March. Does this mean that the race progs for both clubmans groups are now decided? I always need to know as soon as possible in order to plan my work around race dates!

Interesting!
Will the 170 / 190 bhp engines be sealed units?

Yes, sealed engines. Other detail, BUT still to be confirmed. Upgrade consists of cams, verniers, throttle bodies, airbox and ecu. Also lightened flywheel and racing clutch minimum 180mm diameter of no more than 2 plates (carbon prohibited). I stress that Pete Richings and his working group have yet to confirm this spec'. Editor

Amazing Forum hits

In case anyone was wondering why we'd had so many views of this thread, it's because Search Engines are picking up the title. I can't amend the title now so it won't be long before we're headlined in the Financial Times and Sunday Sport! Ed'

Just to clarify ('cause I don't think it's clear, sorry), the new 1700 Bhp engine class will be introduced in 2010 & then an additional 190 Bhp class will be introduced in 2011 meaning that there will be 3 classes? Or, will the 170 Bhp engines all have to be upgraded to the 190 Bhp class in a 2 class sytem from 2011 onwards?

If it's the latter option doesn't that imply some additional expense after just one year, or am I missing the point?

Once the 190 Bhp engines are introduced, why not allow the front engined Vauxhall engined cars back in, as I believe that they were originally 190 Bhp engines in Vauxhall Supersports, (perhaps in the same spec as in the Monoposto single seater series, as they are very robust engines which I believe are built to the original Formula Vauxhall/ Vauxhall Supersports regs and cheaply available). As an aside I know of at least one Vauxhall engined Mallock that's for sale for not much money but has nowhere to race!

Hi Andy,

Maybe that's something for Classic Clubmans to look at.

There seems to be a few of these cars in this spec around. They are similer to A Class power and used to be the last style A class, so why not give them a home there.

Tom

Quote: "Just to clarify ('cause I don't think it's clear, sorry), the new 1700 Bhp engine class will be introduced in 2010 & then an additional 190 Bhp class will be introduced in 2011 meaning that there will be 3 classes? Or, will the 170 Bhp engines all have to be upgraded to the 190 Bhp class in a 2 class sytem from 2011 onwards?".

A single class using the same engines but re-badged DVA, called Proto and running with the existing Cup Class. The new Proto class is being staged over 2 years simply to keep costs down. This first stage allows a relatively simple upgrade without necessarily taking the engine out of the car. Ed'

Thanks

Tom
Hi Andy,

There seems to be a few of these cars in this spec around. They are similer to A Class power and used to be the last style A class, so why not give them a home there.

Tom

The Vauxhall cars are too late for the current Classics cut off date. I believe it has been looked at before but after 81 there were a lot of advances in chassis and suspension design which would give them too much of an advantage.

Haggispeed
Tom
Hi Andy,

Tom

The Vauxhall cars are too late for the current Classics cut off date. I believe it has been looked at before but after 81 there were a lot of advances in chassis and suspension design which would give them too much of an advantage.

I wonder how many of them there are actually still around? Couldn't there be a seperate Vauxhall Class? Or maybe a few (4-6?) "open" races each year that they could be raced at? It just seems a shame to me.

There are now a couple of responses (and questions) to the thread posted on 10/10ths, good that the formula is getting some exposure to the wider racing public, so lets get some of our experts from Cup answering those questions,
e.g. which F3 formula are our new cars going to be as quick as...

http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2607945#post2607945

Well it's a real shame that no one else from here has responded to the discussion on the 10/10ths forum. We want to get more exposure for the formula as a whole and this was an ideal opportunity.

I tried for you....& I'm not even a Clubmans Driver!

Maybe I'll be able to introduce myself at the Autosport Show; I'm helping out on the CSCC stand on friday and Piranha Motorsport's (Lotus 2-11) stand on Saturday.