50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clubmans Cars in Single Seaters

In an earlier thread I posted the following:

"PS. I have also had a strange idea that a Vauxhall engined car could run very competitively within the Monoposto Single seater series (sans cycle wings), as could a B Sport Car within the Monoposto 1600cc Class. It would create a bit of interest by doing something different. I think Clubmans cars ran in Monoposto in the 70s. Clubmans always used to pride itself on having been as quick as contempory F3 cars, well you could always try to prove that they are as quick as contempory club single seater and versatile enough to be used in sportscar racing, too!"

Well, I see that Michael Mallock did very well in the Walter Hayes (Formula Ford) Trophy at Silverstone last w/e in a Mallock Mk9 and Ray Mallock also beat a few Classic F3 cars in the HSCC Open Single Seater race thus demonstrating that Clubmans cars can go quickly and be competitive against more "traditional single seaters". Now, I'm not suggesting that Clubmans reinvents itself as a single seater series but opportunities like this can be used in the press and on your web site to prove the flexibility and performance of Clubmans cars, and to show that the Clubmans concept is still alive and well and that the front engined concept is not an outdated idea in a racing car. There could actually be benefit to your own series.

Re: Clubmans Cars in Single Seaters

I was running my Haggispeed Mk6/7b at Cadwell Park in 1979, never having driven there before, so I also entered the Monoposto race as well, just to do the practice & learn the circuit.
Having done both practice sessions I was called to the clerk of the course & told my car was not eligible as it was a "sports car/2 seater".
I made a feeble attempt at protesting this view, was overruled and handed my entry fee back for the Monoposto race.
Result, free extra practice session in which I gained 7 seconds. O.K. I was still slow but having fun.

Ric, I obviously can't comment on what happened in 1979 at Cadwell but as my initial thread shows Clubman type cars have raced as single seaters very recently and I have competed against several Clubmans drivers in the Single Seater races that used to take place on the Silverstone Stowe circuit. This weekend I even saw a Mallock at the Classic Car Show at the NEC that, whilst in hillclimb trim, was a single seater in all but name - it had cycle wings front & rear but without them would definately have been a single seater.

I suppose my point is that perhaps more could be made of the versatility of the Clubmans type cars!

Hi

You are of course correct about 'versatility'. However, we have positioned ourselves -at least for Championship Regulatory purposes- specifically as 2 seater front engined sports racing cars. The myriad reasons for this are all to do with subtle but important benefits this brings us from the fine detail of the General Regulations.....

Jamie

OK. Thanks for the reply.

Andy

Andy - just a note to say thank you for your input to this forum, it's good that racers from other formulae are taking an interest and contributing.

Haggispeed
Andy - just a note to say thank you for your input to this forum, it's good that racers from other formulae are taking an interest and contributing.

Its a difficult one to judge as some might say that I have no right to an opinion but I really like the Clubmans cars and in different circumstances might have joined in - who knows maybe I'll try a hire drive one day for somewhere local like Mallory (and I always fancied a Vision or a Phantom myself!). I hope that the Register goes from strength to strength; its important that series exist that offer something different for both driver and engineer (and even spectator) and I also think that its important that series exist that provide a link back to earlier racing.