50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ROPS (apologies if discussed before)

Good Xmas eve to all thee forum.

Apologies if this has been spun out already, but how do the ROPS regs affect us or not.... specifically a MK27? I'm not after anyone sighing :-), and having a to write a full page essay, more of what mods have been done if any to similar cars....if needed?

I had a browse over the past few pages and didnt see anything about the subject, i may have missed something.

Thanks in advance and have a good xmas

Re: ROPS (apologies if discussed before)

I'm not aware of any scrutineering issues on this. As long as your Mk27 is as built and you're not so tall you sit very high in the car I wouldn't anticipate any issues.

Ok ,great news, thanks for the details.

Due to my large athletic build (currently training as a pieathlete) i'm trying to get lower in the cockpit, consequently the loop is above my head somewhat.

If you are in any doubt check out the drawing 60 (ii) on page 194 of the blue book. On Clubmans cars the substantial structure referred to is considered to be the highest point of the cylinder head at the front of the engine. So, the lower you get the engine the higher the ROPS has to be behind the driver. I had to put a taller roll over bar on my Mk28 a couple of years ago, at the request of the Scrutineer to accommodate a driver taller than myself.

With reference to Peter's comment about the blue book, it is worth noting that an allied drawing to the one mentioned is Drawing 31 on page 189 of the Blue Book. The dimension shown from the top of the driver's helmet to the UNDERSIDE of the roll hoop is 50cm. This amendment crept into the 2014 edition, when before it has always been shown as 50cm from the TOPSIDE of the roll hoop. There has at no time between 2013 and 2014, been a change in regulation, and this typo was highlighted to the RAC in 2015, when it was verbally agreed with them that the earlier drawing was the correct one. Unfortunately nothing has been done YET to correct this. I carry a 2013 Blue Book with me just in case there is a debate.

Hi

The question of ROPS on Clubmans cars as been a vexed one over time with a variety of scrutineers - mostly at the 750MC it has to be acknowledged - raising concerns about Clubmans cars (but not F750 ...).

For those reasons and in order to cater for a significant variety of ROPS, when I was in the Chair, I amended our regs and also had a definition of Clubmans car inserted in the Blue Book Nomenclature.

The effect of this is to remove our cars almost entirely from the majority of the narrative General Regulations on ROPS. The essence is that Clubmans cars are described as 'non standard' cars in our Regs and thus able to enjoy the significant and material flexibility of General Regulation K.1.6.4 (b). See page 162 2016 and 2017 Yearbooks.

If ever you get challenged on your ROPS then reliance on that Regulation is helpful but in many cases you may also wish to place reliance on K.1.6.2 in relation to forward facing stays, selecting the relevant part only of that Regulation.

Our BB defined term 'Clubmans Cars' (see page 54 Blue Book 2016 and 2017) essentially provides that a Clubmans Car is whatever our Regs say it is. Our own Regs state at 5.2.1 2016... "... open two-seater front engine non Standard Clubmans sports racing cars...' in other words just about every possible alternative form of racing car provided by the General Regulations (in relation to ROPS).

The dimension referred to above in thread in relation to height above crash helmet will always be vital of course and not using less than 32mm dia x 1.5mm tube. As is the quality of 'welding' too ...

Reference to all of the above (Regs) should be more than sufficient to legitimately evade any scrutineer on a mission. I was thinking of putting a sticky label on our ROPS with the BB GR references on it ...

Happy hunting y'all

Forgot all about this thread, apologies. Some great information thanks. After measuring and checking the regs i'm going to run with what ive got.

I've also plenty of distance between top of my helmet and ROPS.