The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
You knead a leecence for the minkey

New MSA licence rules to apply from January 2017 indicates "A" Sport and Proto will need National A licences.

9.1.2 Any Driver competing in a vehicle of 0.34bhp/kg or higher.....at the driven wheels....must hold Race National "A" licence as a minimum

Re: You knead a leecence for the minkey

Greetings, please excuse my stupidity... Before I sift though the entire 'blue bible' could someone remind me the difference between an A and B license?
Best, Jarred

Upgrading is via signatures for each race completed. It's on the MSA website (https://www.msauk.org/assets/2016competitionlicencenotes.pdf) - here's the relevant paragraphs;
Racing – How to Upgrade a Licence
14.2.1. Please note that Rallycross signatures are NOT acceptable for upgrading any
Race licence.
14.2.2. National ‘B’ to National ‘A’ Race.
A competitor who is qualified to hold a 2016 National ‘B’ Race licence may upgrade it
to National ‘A’ Race licence either at renewal or during the year as follows:
(i) Obtain Clerk of the Course’s signatures on the Upgrade Card certifying that the
qualifying events have been successfully completed. These are 6 National ‘B’ or
Clubman Races (these can all be from one circuit), or 12 Junior Race signatures,
and must not contain more than 1 signature from Races organised by or on
behalf of Racing Schools which form part of a school course or curriculum.
(ii) One of the Clerk of the Course signatures required for having successfully
completed a Race may be replaced by a Clerk of the Course signature recorded
on the Upgrade Card for completing a day on a marshal’s post during a race
meeting.
14.2.3. One of the Clerk of the Course signatures for having successfully completed a
Race may be replaced with a signature recorded on the Upgrade Card for having
successfully completed an ARDS Advanced Course.

Hope that helps,
Pete :-)

Surely this will be pretty hard to police unless they have a dyno at the track.

Yet another completely stupid rule implemented with the usual little lead time by the MSA.

Been racing on a National B for years as never bothered to upgrade... ( why pay more money than you need to ?) So now I have to cram in six races ( and finish ) before the end of the year to enable me to join you on the grid in my mallock mk27/28 next year. ..... :(

Jarred , you previously only really needed a national A for some Fia sanctioned events... spa francorchamps etc

I agree. I've only ever needed a National B. Bit wierd how single seaters are excluded. Has this been decided? All i can see is that it was up for consolation at the MSA meetings?

Thank you all.
If I can finish one more race (so pending my gearbox habit) I'll be sorted for next year.
Sean- you can also get a signature for being a Marshall for a day if your desperate.
Best, Jarred

From the MSA bulletin it appears to be decided from 1/1/17.
Single seaters already have the rule in place but at 0.5bhp/kg (wierd mixed units...)
The MSA have accepted alternative evidence of competence in the past such as result sheets, etc.

Sean,

I don't think you need to do 6 more races, just prove that you've successfully completed 6. I believe they accept results sheets if you don't have the actual signature.

If you are going for signatures don't forget that it's a maximum of two per meeting.

I will give them a call. Had my licence since 2012 pretty sure I can find six results sheets somewhere and see what they say. However all the wording says it needs to be an upgrade card with photo attached now.

Just an update on this for anyone else this may affect. Spoken with the Msa and it seems they have seen sense, I can just send results sheets in as others suggested, making the wording about the upgrade card essentially useless.

That's good - and is in line with their established practice over a number of years.