The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DONINGTON PARK JULY 17TH

Please be aware that the Donington Park meeting will be one day only - July 17th - and will be one qualifying session and TWO races.
The entry fee will be reduced accordingly.

Re: DONINGTON PARK JULY 17TH

Sorry don't like to read that, not sure i'll come all the way down then.

Whats the reason for the change Pete ?

Donington was easily the most popular circuit when we voted at the Drivers Meeting last November.

The only Donington event open to us was the one day July 17th, therefore, we felt it was better to take that with two rounds rather than look around for another (less popular) circuit at which we could have three rounds.

Overall this year the general view seems to be that we have a well balanced calendar and it also appears that the three rounds per weekend is working well. So it will be a 17 round championship this year.

Coming a long distance, the 3 race format works for me, and makes it very much worthwhile.
I was especially grateful for this given my non finishes in the first 2 races at Rockingham, the 3rd race making the weekend for us. Despite apprehensions about the Rockingham circuit I came away on high and loved it.

Many thanks to Richard Mallock, Barry Webb and others for their help in getting me back on track

Ummm ...

Yes we all love DP but ..

Seems a little 'odd' to me because the inference appears clear that it was always known that there could only be 17 rounds and not 18 because of the Donington situation. (I seem to recall that in fact another DP was available as a TV event..). However ...

Under the Championsip Regulations as approved by MSA 9 February 2016 Championship Sporting Regulation 1.5 contractually defines the Championship as being scheduled over 18 rounds with 13, 14 and 15 being at Donington on 16/17 July. As we know there is a massive and unsatisfactory near 3 month gap between then and the final event at Silverstone in October anyway.

Championship Regs are part of the supplementary regs (SRs).

MSA General Regulation D.11.1.1 says (for standalone events really not championships but..) no alteration can be made to SRs after the period commences for accepting entries unless MSA and all competitors already entered agree in writing.

As this is a Championship, then GR D.11.1.3 applies and provides that the Championship Sporting (and Technical) Regulations may not be amended after issue of the Championship Permit (on or about 9 February 2016) unless MSA and all competitors registered for the Championship agree in writing....

Clearly D.11.1.2 does not and cannot apply.

I appear not to be alone in expressing considerable surprise at the suggestion now proposed and politely suggest that we should in fact be holding BARC to the terms of the contract and Championship Permit and Championship and General Regulations. Let somebody else get 'bumped' if that is what is on foot ...

I feel massively sorry for Onno if this alteration is approved by all the registered competitors...

Apologies if I step out of line ... but as Alan Coren once wrote: 'Dis am de law'.

Thanks for the info Jamie.
Is it that i don't understand what 18 races has to do with this??
I would love to do a quali and 2 races over the weekend!
As on the calender Donington has always been a two day event, i took the days off to race Donington but don't like to travel 2 full days to have a one day event that costs more than double the money on entrance fee than a similar raceday in Assen on the same day.
Assen is just an hour from my place so i think you understand that i'll choose to race at Assen the 17th.

Onno I entirely 'get that'. If I had 'signed up' to a weekend race in Assen/Spa/Zolder and found it was in fact a one day on Sunday I would be staying here!!

Our entry fees have become frankly ridiculous at £500 per hour and 1 day meetings lack (the time for) any meaningful social element. It's a struggle to get 'excited' about it and we are only 60 miles away! It might have been better if it was Saturday as at least testing on Friday and racing Saturday could be viable, but testing Friday, home Friday night/Saturday and then back to race Sunday lacks any traction (IMHO).

Actually Onno, it is tempting to say we'll come to Assen instead!

Sorry to make matters worse, but the test day is on the Thursday. Friday is a trackday with bookatrack.com, who would not allow James out in the Mallock - insisted we had to use a test day. May be different for the elderly!

It just gets better and better doesn't it?

What total track time did we receive at Rockingham for our £505 entry fee?

I see OSS paid £420 for 75mins of the same format (1x quali 3x races) on the Long international circuit.

Our track time was just about the same as OSS, who also pay £100 registration fee for the championship.

Hi Jonty

The factual comparison between BRSCC OSS and BARC KHT Championships (ignoring the organising club racing memberships) is as below, and the calendar is broadly identical - same venues but OSS has 5 events and no Croft event while time is nearly identical:

BRSCC BARC
Silverstone: £425 £450
Rockingham: £425 £505
Brands Hatch:£450 £515
Donington: £390 £430
Silverstone: £425 £505

Total £2115 £2880
Less Croft £2115 £2405
Add Regn Fee£2215 £2405
Difference: £ 190

BUT:
If you enter all 5 OSS events, the final event is free; if you enter 4/5 it is 75% deduction last round and 3/5 50% reduction last round. So, for those who enter all rounds (of OSS) the cost is to be reduced accordingly, so the total for OSS doing all 5 events is actually £1790 as compared to the same 5 events with BARC costing us £2405 (by stripping out Croft), a difference of £615 having taken into account the Ch Regn fee.

Or put another way, a new set of tyres...

I haven't bothered to add in the Register Membership etc fees to BSARC costs which ought to be really for true comparison, but it would make the BRSCC position even better anyway.

I understand BRSCC would render the same fees as OSS to us.

The average (5 events) entry fee cost per event is thus £358 with BRSCC and £481 with BARC. If you add another £358 to allow for a 6th (Croft) event then it is £2148 vs £2880 or £732 less.

Hello to all. I thought i would add my opinion. The calendar cannot be changed for this year and it is what it is. I believe there can be changes for next year though. I personally would rather have 2 races at donington then zero i know the BARC are supposed to honour a contract etc etc but i was not involved in the dscussions. The 3 month gap i think is pretty poor but again I thnk we need to look to the future. I think as a club we need to open up to other clubs to see if they are interested in running us. as in BRSCC or 750MC. The entry fees are high, but i have not looked into other clubs. You do have to consider if we go with a new club we will probably not have the garages at every round??. I think we as a club and the standing committee need to look at the rounds. I don't think Croft was a great success, and to have 2 rounds at Silverstone is great for me as i only live around the corner but in all seriousness i think is not very good. Lets look forward to next season as not a lot can be done about 2016.

Hi Steve I really don't believe you can validly make the statement that Croft was not a success ... I appreciate you were not there to witness it, but we had 16 entries which is the required minimum for MSA yellow card purposes. There were a number who would have been there but were unable to make it for reasons beyond their control otherwise it would have been nearer 20.

Those who were there either participated in or witnessed some of the best races there have been in Clubmans for many many years. Croft as a real racers circuit always tends to produce that. Compare it to Brands Indy on which it is virtually impossible to overtake and where we have a history of contact through nobody cooperating.

In addition Croft is in 2016 the only 'Northern' round and we have strong historical links with the venue as well as current links via a championship sponsor and of course making the year viable for our northern and Scots competitors who otherwise tolerate massive travel arrangements to the 'southern' circuits while actually supporting the championship and competing in all the rounds.

Hi Jamie, I agree with some of those points and as you pointed out i was not there, but i am open to discussion on other venues, This has to be concentrated on 2017 as there is little point arguing over 2016. And if the majority of members want a round at croft then im sure it will happen.

Just for the record as you all know I now race with the MGOC Lancaster Insurance Championship , through the BARC 60 minutes track time £360.00 I would love one day too get back to Clubmans but at £500.00 for the same track time on some of the same circuits lncluding Donington Park I would seriously start having to ask questions As to if Clubmans are being totally ripped off

Steve I don't think there is an argument over 2016. The Championship Regulations approved by MSA are clear, 18 rounds with 13,14 and 15 at Donington and otherwise GR D.11.1.3 applies and all registered competitors have to consent to the amendment as well as MSA. It couldn't be more clear than that as that is what we signed up to when we registered for the Championship, 18 rounds not 17.

So it is a question of who is getting priority over us at DP if they want to 'bump' us.

Guys... why does a simple message from Pete end up with a discusion about where, what, how much etc??
i remember we all have voted where to race etc and yes my favourite circuit was Donington. The reason i won't come is just the change to a one day event, not the costs, not the club.
For me it's simply the distance (600 mls)+ ferry + hotel that make the costs, not just the entry fee.
When do you finaly realise you have so much circuits to choose from in one country and great tracks as well.. A championship in Holland would mean 6 events with choose of 2 tracks..
Didn't we choose the tracks, club etc at the drivers meeting/board? Now then. get back to your garage and prepare your car! No reason not to be ready, there's one extra day to work on it....

Well said Onno.

I'm just off to Le Mans - another bloody one day meeting! Well 24 hours anyway :-)

Damn Pete, we all know Le Mans starts at SATURDAY and finishes on SUNDAY!!! That's what we want...
Why being so bloody rude to us??

Onno, I think it is a discussion that needs to be had in relation to 2017.

No one suggesting changing anything for 2016 however we as a club are owed an explanation as to why we have had one of our weekends changed?????

With respect to 2017 it is clear that there are other clubs out there who may be able to offer better deals. I raced in OSS last year and compared to this season their grids were poor, however someone has clearly managed to negotiate a good deal as detailed by Jamie for 2016. They are now pulling in high 20's in terms of numbers and i'm sure good value track time is a contributing factor. Why can't we have that deal?

At the end of the day, we are the customer and we can negotiate and make a choice which will hopefully result in the best deal for the competitors for 2017.

Stop being the good citizen Onno the fact remains that members voted on 18 races not seventeen Acers commit to BARC they should honor that commitment

Jonty i agree with you and Jamie on that part! Just think this has no direct relation on the message from Pete.
I think it would be better to start a new topic where anyone could bring his/her upinion on what, where and on what costs for 2017
The thing is; i'm a reasonable outstander as not getting al the ins and outs due to the distance.

I do know entry fee for a Zandvoort raceday with 1 quali (20 min) and 3 races (12 laps/20 min) = +/- 250 euro (200 GBP) at a similar organisation as 750mc. (membership 80 euro)

For me a weekend UK wil cost me around 1500 euro, Croft a bit more, Brands a bit less.

My understanding is that the meeting was originally scheduled to be 2 days. Subsequently it has been reduced to a 1 day meeting and hence the BARC were unable to provide us with the 1 practice session and 3 races, with 2 races being the best alternative. I also believe the entry fee will be reduced to reflect this change.

I am also disappointed with this years calendar, as now having got the car out the season is half over. With us not racing during the best months of the year. I will endeavour to ensure this doesn't happen next season