The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do you drill your nuts?

Some years ago I was involved in a deep and meaningful with a gentleman of the scrutineering persuasion [Note 1] at a circuit near Darlington on the topic of domed wheel nuts. He insisted that I should drill through the domes for two reasons, first he needed to insert a probe through the nut to confirm that the stud was long enough and second he was worried about hydraulicing.

I have just taken delivery of a new set of nuts [Note 2] and before I drill them, possibly needlessly, I though I'd see what the blue DVD says and I can find no reference to wheel nuts other than in Rallying and Karting. Has anyone else had this discussion and if so do you drill your nuts?

[Note 1] Not one of our regular scrutes who are a fine bunch of people.
[Note 2] Andy, there's no need to post your "It's an age thing" comment.

Re: Do you drill your nuts?

Never, ever heard that one before and never thought of drilling my nuts.

Stands back waiting for Andy's response...........:-)

" Drilled nuts?" "No, I always walk like this!"

I have some drilled nuts for the Mamba wheels as the studs are to long but for the Revolution wheels all nuts are undrilled.

To measure the tread just take off on of the nuts and you know.

Hydraulics? no just some air in it and i bet they will prevend the nuts from loosening instead of unscrewing.

Last weekend a Dutch scruteneer asked me to show the brake lights After explaning that real racecars didn't have them he asked me what the light on the back of the car was for?

You are right Pete I could not let this one go!

Brian, you are correct, it is a painful experience, plus you need to wear Tena pants afterwards due to the leakage. There are also problems in holding them in a vice whilst you do it, well more like your eyes watering.

Borat has been using enclosed nuts on his Mallock without comment so far however one of his nuts does have a hole in it!

The race wasn’t on April 1st was it?

Richard Mallock had this same discussion with said scrutineer. Perhaps a good idea to see what his opinion is. He sounds like the same scrutineer that I accidentally ran over at Croft in 1976 - it's probably my fault, sorry.

No HART feelings..

Brian the reason you have to drill the nuts is section Q 19.7.2 blah blah blah.... And in thread contact Over a min. Length of 1.5 bolt /stud diameter length....blah blah blah. So you drill your nuts so they can check you have inserted the thread Far enough into the nut. I think I got picked up once on this but I decided to leave my nuts as they are.

Chris,

Chris Burnham
Brian the reason you have to drill the nuts is section Q 19.7.2 blah blah blah.... And in thread contact Over a min. Length of 1.5 bolt /stud diameter length....blah blah blah. So you drill your nuts so they can check you have inserted the thread Far enough into the nut. I think I got picked up once on this but I decided to leave my nuts as they are.

Thanks for this, I knew there was a reference to the stud size somewhere though unlike you I had failed to find it. Clearly this is what had so exercised the mind of my original scrutineer but his insistence on my drilling the nuts was wrong it would seem; as Onno says you can always undo the nuts to check the thread length.

Brian

Brian
Chris,

Chris Burnham

Thanks for this, I knew there was a reference to the stud size somewhere though unlike you I had failed to find it. Clearly this is what had so exercised the mind of my original scrutineer but his insistence on my drilling the nuts was wrong it would seem; as Onno says you can always undo the nuts to check the thread length.

Brian

... alternatively do as the Regulation says and fit centre-lock type .... like some have ..

Don't forget to drill them then Jamie!!!

Borat will be running a "drill your nuts" clinic in our garage at 7pm on Friday night.

We have ordered an extra large vice for Alec C as he appears to have the largest nuts.

We haven't yet decided what to offer Michelle

Onno
Don't forget to drill them then Jamie!!!

they are pre-drilled Onno but we have to cross-drill the shaft so we can get pins through the end...

We call that safety reasons and weight saving. And it takes some stress away in case of a tyre change in the heat of the moment. I loved the centre nuts on the FF2000 for that reasons.