The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hans Devices

I am looking to buy a hans device and was wondering which would be best 20 or 30 degree some say 20 some say 30 if anybody has any advice please let me know I was looking to purchase one before Croft and will be looking for an entry level device not £1000 CARBON MODEL

Re: Hans Devices

Hi Martin
I have used one (and tested it...) for the last 6 years...now would not race without it.
Mine is a 20 deg device. I think you're right that either 20 or 30 can work - it probably depends on the seating position and amount of recline in the seat back.
Also bear in mind that you may need to change your seat belts to get optimum performance.

Peter is correct about seat belts, but you actually need to use Hans compatible seat belts (which are specifically designed to use with the device )other wise you will fall foul of the scrutineers . Also the pick up points on the chassis may need to be moved for the Hans compatible seat belts to work properly, I.E pick up points moved closer together and further back from the seat. All Hans manufactures have videos and instruction's for this. The benefit's of the Hans device are obvious and out way the aggro of fitting the belts, I only make these points since I have had to go through the pain of doing this to my car, and after naively buying a Hans device and thinking it was easy to fit and that it was an end to the costs etc

Sorry Mark, I have to reply rather than lurk. CSCC sold a batch of HANS about a year ago and had it direct from the manufacturer that there is absolutely no need for HANS specific or compatible belts; things marketed as HANS compatible belts are marketing BS. Same goes for seats (not that that's relevant for Clubmans). 3 inch belts work fine as long as the angle of the belts is correct, iaw the HANS manufacturers recommendations.

Just to clarify Andy's message, he is quite correct, all FIA approved harnesses are HANS compatible, 2" or 3" shoulder straps. However those with 2" shoulder straps MUST be used with a HANS device. So if you present with 2" shoulder straps and don't have the HANS device that's when the scrutineer will ask you very politely to get it sorted...

Thanks, Tony. Yes, should have made it clear that once you have fitted the 2 inch belts then you can only use them with a HANS device.

In the CSCC 2 driver races that I take part in a couple of people have been caught out by that when one driver who normally races in sprint races has 2 inch belts fitted and uses a HANS but the second driver doesn't use one.

Back at you Andy, i stand corrected, I have been misinformed by the inconsistency of the scrutineers ,however I did try to use my Hans device with the 3 inch belts that were in my car and found that they did not function with the Hans device very well, I merely wanted to share that with Martin so that he was fully aware of the pitfalls with regard to using an Hans device in a Mallock

Mark, apologies if I appeared rude. Didn't mean to, I just wanted to prevent someone spending money they didn't need to. I would also like to encourage people not be put off buying a Hans when they may be by the thought that they may need to buy new belts too. They don't.
I think the angle of the belts to the horizontal is important and maybe this needs looking at carefully.

Cheers

Andy

I agree with Mark, the 3 inch belts are not ideal for HANS. Rather use the special belts for HANS as they give you so much more comfort in the car and that's one of the main important thinks for safety most people forget about.
Sorry guy's, belts are not expensive!!