The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
K-series starter motor???

It looks as though my starter motor has given up the ghost, does anybody happen to know a part number, or better still have a URL for one that I can go and collect from Euro car parts this afternoon?

I think there are 2 types and I know the one on Meggy's Mk18 doesn't fit on my car as the solenoid fouls on the chassis rail.

Re: K-series starter motor???

Can't tell you what its off but you should be able to get the makers part number of the old unit. Either google it or euro car parts should be able to match it up from that. I think ours is a magnett marelli unit.

bit late I know but mine is a Magneton 9141 380. i know this because we have nothing but trouble with the solenoids failing due to heat and vibration on both cars.

solenoids vary between £13 and £45 but the fix is to get either a powerlite at about £200 or a wosp for a bit more. these are built as race purpose and cope with vibes and heat. but make sure you get the Caterham fixation for K series version not the K series as the latter 'designation' is for FWD with the starter alongside gearbox.... also check the no of teeth on pinion.

even tho the race versions claim to be lighter than standard items the magneton is lighter than the powerlite i have on the bench awaiting the caterham mounting plate

good luck.

Actually Jamie, not too late thanks - the markers name and part no were illegible on mine. It appears that the only people who have Magneton starters in stock are Caterham and oddly enough, they seem to charge more for them than I've managed to order a WOSP one for. It looks a different shape, but seems to have an adjustable solenoid position so hopefully it'll fit OK.