The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starting out racing in a Clubman

I was hoping that I could pick some brains on here about starting out racing and the viability of jumping straight into a clubman.

I have spent the last few years working overseas and am due back this summer. A few years before moving I built and then regularly tracked a Caterham. The car was great fun on track, but as it was only a sigma 125 it was a little down on power on the straights. When we moved I brought the car and have been regularly taking it to the only track on the island (as an aside, 30 Euros for a whole day on track, transponder and timing provided and during the week a good chance of getting the track to yourself!!). Whilst here I have been servicing the car myself, but before building the Caterham my mechanical experience was minimal.

We are now looking at heading back to the UK and I am thinking of getting something different. My long term goal is to get racing on a regular basis, but for the next couple of years its more likely to be a case of testing and trackdays with maybe one or two races a year (two young kids make weekends hard, but I can take time off during the week to do testing etc).

Is jumping straight from a Caterham into a Clubman a realistic option? I am looking at this from a mechanical experience and speed on track point of view. How easy are the cars to run and maintain myself? How are they on track? Would they be a realistic next step?

Are Clubman's accepted on Trackdays? In the past I have seen radicals and a variety of other bike powered race cars on trackdays, but I dont think I have seen a Clubman. My preference would be to spend time getting to know the car at both trackdays and testing sessions to give me the most flexibility in getting track time. I would the look to build up speed/experience/knowledge of the car before jumping into a race.

Is this a realistic idea or would I be biting off more than I could chew. I could opt to race a Caterham but to be honest, I want to try something a bit different and more 'race car'. My other option is looking at some of the 750Mc formula (Formula 750, RGB) but I am most drawn to these cars.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Re: Starting out racing in a Clubman

Rea, a clubman's car is the next natural progression from a Caterham, both have engines in the front so there should not be a change in driving technique.
Clubmans cars are also a lot easier to drive as even the gearknob is going to be in the same place as the Caterham.

One big big advantage in a Clubmans car is that it uses a standard MG engine at some 130 bhp so you don't need to rebuild it often (other than abuse) now don't go thinking that at 130bhp it's going to be tame and boring, if you look at our track records section you can see at some tracks we are still faster than a BTCC car (Brands Indy 49's). So all the action is in the braking and cornering.

If you can track up a Caterham you can track up a Clubmans car, it's probably mechanically less complex?

The only thing that you would have to learn is slicks and wings but there are plenty of friendly members in the paddock that will help you.

Good Luck on your venture!

Andy

Andy's post is accurate. You can make the transition naturally. We have had a number of Caterham drivers guesting over the years who have acquitted well. Grip levels thro the downforce and tyres (wet and dry) will be a pleasant revelation. We have had a number of people successfully start their entire careers straight into a Clubmans Car including 2 of the current Champions!

Looking forward to welcoming you!

Thanks for the replies.

I have a few months left before I head back to the UK, but will be checking online for potential cars. I am amazed that the cars are only getting 130bhp - amazing what a difference slicks and wings make to a laptime.

Hi REA,

Would be great to see you into Clubmans racing. Mind you it's not only the wings and slicks that make the Clubmans cars so fast, there's a lot of engineering into these cars. Light weight, low centre of gravity, corner weights are close to formula cars, TAM (Mallock), IRS (Vision,Nemesis)etc. etc. All the cars are different but most of them are as quick as modern cars like Formula Ford, FR 1.6
and some Radicals.

Hope to see you on track!

Hello Rae

I'm chairman of the Clubmans Register and hope that we will see you racing with us soon. You can probably tell that we're a very friendly crowd with an amazing social scene as well. Most (if not all) of our cars are bought and sold by "word of mouth" rather than through ads so I suggest you keep in touch with Sue and Richard at Mallock Sports +44 (0)1604 863504 and, when you're ready, post a request here for what's for sale. I'm on +44 (0)7916 688535 Chris.

REA,

Can't believe it's not been said already, let us know when you're back in the UK and then come and see us when we're racing. There's usually some spare tickets floating around and most of us are more than happy to bore on about our cars to anybody who'll listen.

Also, you should be able to get on a trackday with a few organisations - any that allow radicals will like as not allow a Clubmans car.