The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dunlop motorsport ends United Kingdom production

Dunno if I'm way out of touch but has this been mentioned before?

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/industry/dunlop-motorsport-ends-united-kingdom-production/

Mike

Re: Dunlop motorsport ends United Kingdom production

I think it's about time that the club makes a statement on the tyre supply, if it's sensitive then use a group email so that we all know what's going on?

Please be assured that we are working closely with Dunlop on this - and have been for some time.
As soon as there is anything to communicate I can assure you that it will appear here and by e mail.
Please be patient - we are working in the best interests of the Register membership.

I've asked Pete to do what he can for us on the basis he's definitely the best man for the job. His motor industry background at a senior level, along with being instrumental in maintaining the supply of Dunlops in previous challenging times (alongside Jamie), plus his long-standing friendship with Avon, all ensure that whatever happens we will have tyres that suit our cars best. Let's not forget that Phil Weaver (King Henry's Taverns) is also providing our own paddock tyre service, so whatever the outcome of Pete's negotiations we'll have one of the best tyre services of any formulae (and I include F1, although I'll admit that's not an ideal comparison, perhaps I should say Touring Cars but, wait a minute, they use Dunlop don't they?!). As is often heard at Walmington on Sea, "Don't panic", we're in safe hands.

Well, if our tyres (along with many others) are no longer to be available, then it merely presents us with an engineering challenge from which we should not 'shrink' but which we shall have to embrace. There are clearly a number of chassis designs and principles in existence and perhaps a forced challenge is just what we need to give some impetus to modernise... After all, we are supposed to be a club and championships for engineers. However the fact of the differing chassis designs and principles especially the most recent from all manufacturers must be respected and I am sure will be the subject of full consultation.

Pete, you are the tyre-man, so I will address this to you, and if you allow it hopefully it will prompt other members to bring out their view(s)?

I understand the situation with Dunlop, I think, and although it’s tempting to negotiate extensions to contracts maybe this is the time to start with a clean sheet of paper?

As I think it’s been already suggested why don’t we allow us all to select our own tyres in 2014 (except Proto of course who will be restricted to wooden tyres). What will happen is natural selection and over time the racers will gravitate to probably the same tyre?

Track records could be suspended until a single tyre selection is made, or maybe a choice of two as some design of cars might want a different construction of tyres.

I know there are many large mathematical formulas on the characteristics of tyres and that there is a morbid fear of some cars routing out their rear tyres, however I would suggest a more pragmatic approach like “ why do 100’s of cars from the Caterham race series run so successfully on their tyres, therefore we have similar designed cars and probably we would be OK as well?”

Sports 2000 migrated from one construction of tyre to another, their major constructor of cars has told me that there was very little difference in performance, he states that the front guys were no faster but the low to mid grid cars did appear to gain.

So I know this is a “hot potato” subject but members do have views, I don’t seek to offend you or any other member, however once a decision is made I will back it.

No offence taken Andy.
My principal focus is to secure a supply of tyres for the members of this club for 2014.
Beyond that I'm happy to discuss all possibilities, as is Harty.

Pete, are you saying 2014 in non negotiable?

Pete is incredibly busy at this time so I've picked up the Dunlop tyre challenge for the moment and would like to report our progress to date.

We've been talking to Dunlop about the possible challenge to our supply for many weeks - Pete has also been in contact with alternative suppliers throughout this time. Although Dunlop may still replenish the supply of our slicks they cannot give us any guarantees yet.

We do have the opportunity of alternative solutions should Dunlop fail us, so please be assured that whatever we do we will ensure the following, in order of what I believe to be important:
1. There will be no significant extra cost to members.
2 It's important that deeper pockets don't benefit from a tyre choice.
3. Tyre performance and degradation create the best "level playing field".
4. Because we know that radials have an advantage over cross-ply, but don't work on a solid axle without camber, they cannot be allowed until a way is found to induce that camber on solid axles. If we did allow them it would disadvantage the vast majority of our cars.

We will have a solution very soon but I thought I should let you know of the situation as we know it at this time. If Dunlop cannot carry on with a supply please feel free to share your own views on this Forum, or by email or 'phone to me. Harty