The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
leaking ali diff??

Thursday i had a testday at Zolder using my ali diff for the first time in combination with a LSD. After 1st session all worked well but 2nd session the diff was worn and found that it had been leaking al it's oil. Seals seem to be in order and can't find a leak at the gasket but there was a leak after 1st session as there was oil on the pitfloor when i returned from 2nd session.

Does any of you have a clue what might have happened?

Car went very well as i was as fast as before with ff2000 but now on a half wet track. Compared with Zandvoort my laptimes are same as ff2000 so could have done 3 sec faster on dry track prob.
Need to do some testing before 3 may Zandvoort and Snetterton to have the diff in order. Hope to see you all there @ Snetterton.

Gr,

Onno

Re: leaking ali diff??

Hi Onno

Oil leaks are so irritating aren't they? There are only so many places the axle can leak from....pinion oil seal, flange gasket, porous/cracked casing or cracked axle case.......unless anyone can think of another one!

Sounds like the car was going really well though.......Good luck

Pete

Thanks Pete, thought of al those and think it might have been the gasket but couldn't find any damages. Tomorow i'll have a look at it with my diff builder.
Let you know our conclusion. And yes think i will have a penetrant investigation to be sure the diff housing is fine. Axle seems fine, no damages found.

Just one thought - at Mr Freeman's suggestion I always use his Wellseal jointing compound on the diff gasket joint.

We would put an air line in the axle breather and look for the leak using soapy water. If it is not from the diff it could be from around the filler plug area which is prone to cracking.
Good to hear you were going well.

Checked the diff today with my diff builder, didn't find anything wrong. Will check it with penetrant liquid.
@ Richard; do not think it's the axle as there was only oil left in the axle at the lowest point and the diff is worn as there was no oil in it. It had new oil and no leak appeared at the rolling road a week before. Think i didn't seal the gasket good enough. Wil check the axle later this week and use the spare diff (3.54)for next meeting. Need the shorter diff however for Snetterton.

No leak found in the diff housing with the penetrant liguid. Investigation on the axle wil follow later this week. Diff is ready to instal so might be ready for next testing. The gasket wil get a lot of attention this time!

Hi Onno

What diff do you use at Zandvoort - 3.5 or 3.7?
Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom, depends on power and revs.
I used the 3.54 diff and got to 7300 rpm with 190 bhp.
Now changed the chokes to increase top power and wil use 3.78 diff but wil get to 7800 rpm i think.
I think topspeed at Zandvoort is very similar to Rockingham so if you use 3.78 for Rockingham it will do for Zandvoort.
Compared with Snetterton you wil get more revs at Zandvoort as at Snetterton i got to 7100 rpm with the 3.54 diff.

Gr,

Onno

Hi Tom
Never mind Zandvoort for now - where's your entry for Donington next Saturday???
The Clubmans Register needs you!

Pete (aka Sven)

Pete - you are the Lord Kitchener of Clubmans - I can see the poster now.....

Thanks Onno,

Cheers, Tom

Tom Brown
Pete (aka Sven)

Pete - you are the Lord Kitchener of Clubmans - I can see the poster now.....

Thanks Onno,

Cheers, Tom

and here it is: Example

HaHa, what a leaking diff leads to...