The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GOODWOOD REVIVAL SATURDAY

The last race on Saturday is the Chichester Cup for front engined FJ cars and two Mallocks are entered - one driven by Ray Mallock.
I'd like to suggest that any Clubmans members attending join a group of us to cheer them on from Madgwick corner (first corner after the start)
As well as myself and Joy, the Harts, the Paynes and Marcus Bicknell are already going to be there and Marcus is even threatening to make a banner!
We'll be about half way round Madgwick at the top of the bank...try and join us!!
Pete

Re: GOODWOOD REVIVAL SATURDAY

We will look out for you guys on the bank! Really looking forward to seeing and cheering on the Mallock U2's, especially hearing how well Ray got on testing there last week!
Richard & Sue

That's great - I'm pretty sure Steve Chaplin is trying to be there too.......

Ray was going pretty well in testing. They have a funny way of testing though. There are only five cars on the track at a time and the session is for fifteen minutes. Good job the weather was good as we spent a long time sitting in the sun queing. Can't say the other Mallock had a good day as third gear broke - stripped all its teeth. I did not realise how much power these 1100cc FJ engines had to break a new gearbox!

I'd love to be able to come on Saturday and cheer Ray on, but my sister-in-law's 65th has been changed from evening to 4pm. Given that, I'll have to make do with my already-booked Sunday Revival date. I hope to see some of you there -Pete and Joy I know have an all-weekend ticket so I'll be looking out for you!

I was told nostalga is not what it used to be, have I got news for you? 50,000 enthusiasts at Goodwood last Saturday.
Peter and Joy had organised a Clubmans space at Madgwicks, in line with the end of the airfield runway, Chris and Karen has organised the chilled wine, Ray and Will had organised the entertainment.
Difficult to recognise any of the gang as everyone was dressed up in 50's & 60's costumes!
Rays qualifying went well, 2 seconds faster than testing but was disappointed to find that he was only 6th out of a competative 30 car grid. But Will Mitcham who was standing in for his father Brian, after a bad road accident was next up. Come the race they both did us proud, with our big Mallock banners floating. Ray made a demon start and took the lead, 3/4 the way round on the first lap. Unfortunately 2 laps in, running the 1960 engine at 9300rpm, it digested a spark plug leaving Ray coasting into the pits.
The gauntlet was then handed down to Will. He responded brilliantly working from 4th to taking the lead for the last 2 laps. It was going to be a fairytale ending but on the run down to the final chicane, a french driver dived inside him and took the honours. Will, who had never sat in the car before was waxing lyricals about the leaf-springed Mallock.
A brilliant weekend!

Wasn't it a fabulous weekend - apart from Ray's DNF.......
The Revival is just incredible - you need more than 3 days to take it all in.......
Oh, Richard - by the way, Joe Colasacco, who won the FJ race, is an American - to accuse him of being French must be the ultimate insult!!!!!!!

If he had been driven a Mallock Richard would know his name i think so don't blame him. Looks like you had great fun at Goodwood.

Joy sent me a very nice set of photos of the event. See pictures of the cars, the race and sundry Clubmans Register members by clicking here.

Great set of pictures; my,these Clubmans people brush up well, I didn't recognise any of 'em...

Wonderful event and a privilege to be there. Seeing Ray race that tiny little Mallock U2 to the limit and leading the first lap was an extraordinary sensation. Now, how fickle are fans? No sooner had Ray retired on lap 3, we discarded the Mallock Magic banner and sat down in disgust. Then Will Mitcham in the other Mallock U2 popped up in 4th place behind the leaders and we all jumped up again and started cheering for him. Don't tell Ray! Will has raced Caterhams and was in the U2 for the first time. Amazing. Last lap, the commentator said of Will "If there is anywhere I do not want to be on the last lap in a Formula Junior race, that's in the lead at the beginning of the Lavant Straight." Indeed, Will got slipstreamed and finished second. Great race. Who has got his phone number so that we can call him and get him to race with the Clubmans Register. Brilliant.