The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fear

I recently heard on QI, That the only 2 fears you are naturally born with are falling and loud noises.
So as im reasonably happy to jump off a table when Sue shouts at me. Why cant I take Copse flat in a Cup car?
Answers on a postcard please.
PS. Good constructive AGM

Re: Fear

Hmm - my wife would shout at me if I was on a table too!

Speaking of frightening things... Did you find the source of the Severn? Don't know whether I was born with it, but my fear of freezing in a tent in February must be one of the first ones I learned.

Word to the wise. Don't get on the table then Sue wont need to shout at you.

If you brake really hard for Woodcote it makes it easier to take Copse flat out. Dont know why!
Anyway, why were you on the table?

You mention the the only two fears that prevent you from taking Copse flat. The fear of "falling" off the track and the "loud" bang when you hit the barrier. There's nothing to fear but fear itself so just keep your foot down. If you dare!!

There is an easy answer to this; just set up the car so that the throttle jams full open just at the point you were going to lift, hey presto Copse taken flat! Of course it does tend to mean you come out the other side facing the wrong way because the throttle magically frees itself on the exit, but at least then you know it can be done, difficlult to repeat next lap though...

My favourite story regarding these techniques was told by ex SAS soldier David Purley - perhaps one of the bravest people ever to drive a racing car. (Remember Zandvoort 1973)

He used his military training when trying to take fast corners flat by screaming out loud into his helmet. Apparently it's so distracting you forget to lift.....
Try it next time Dick!

Alex says that Copse is a short dab on the brakes; in the wet... But he's never tried it in a Mallock

If you want to take copse flat, just take a slow car! I think a B-sport wil go flat at copse and you don't need big balls to do it. Just don't try it in a 240 bhp Proto car, you better accept Sue yelling at you that you are the only one braking for copse?

Peter's comments reminded me of a story.
In 1990 I was very privileged to be asked to race Jacques Naveau's Formula Ford Mallock Mk9 at the daunting Rouen track in France.
I spoke to Ray, as I knew he had raced there in the past in his F2 for some advice on how to go round there fast, I remember to this day his words "Don't try and go round there fast just come back alive". He did tell me the Dave Purley secret as he regularly raced against him at the time. Rouen is like the back sections of Thrusxton but with 200ft drops either side. After loving practice, I was astonished to find I had qualified 3rd overall. I made a brilliant start, did a Dave Purley impression through the downhill sweeps and low and behold found myself leading the race into the first hairpin - it could have been something to do with my drum brakes! If there is one photo I would love to have on my wall at home it would be of that one second in time.
I then thought I could lead this race over the startline but immediately got a big tailslide on the next bend and decided I better behave myself. I ended up in a very pleased 3rd place.
They closed the track soon after.
Halcyon days.

NICE!!