Piper Boat Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the Piper Boat Owners club Forum. The Forum for owners of Piper built Narrowboats and Barges and anyone interested in Piper Boats. The owners club is completely separate from Piper Boats. Please feel free to post a message to club members and web site readers.

General Discussions
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wifi

The wifi signal at our mooring is extremely week. As winter is approaching I don't much fancy trecking outside to catch a signal so I'm wondering if there is a gadget which I can locate outdoors and plug into the usb on my laptop.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Eric

Re: Wifi

I had the exact same problem and have eventually solved it by purchasing a unit called "High Power Wireless-N USB Adaptor" made by Zead (www.zead.co.uk).

I bought it from Springwood Haven Leisure Ltd (on the Coventry Canal near Nuneaton) and it is simple to install and use, and works very well. The downside is that it cost £89.00! Hope this helps.

Hi Patrick
Many thanks for that. Shall be looking into it.

Eric

There's apparently an Orange gadget which costs around £50 and you can upload it with whatever amount you want to, but you have to use it within 6 months.May be worth following up.

Hi Eric,
This is a first reply as I'm just back on board and I need to do a little research before I give a proper reply. As a live-aboard, the variability of signal has been a constant problem and I have discussed it with various other boaters, hearing the good and bad points of their solutions.

I had all my electronic equipment - and some bottles of fire-water - stolen this summer and, in deciding how to replace the equipment, I've got a solution that is OK for me. My contract, because of the 15Gb monthly allowance, is with 3Mobile. Their new generation of dongles have MUCH better aerials than was the case a couple of years ago and, if their is coverage at all (and there are bits of the waterways where 3 don't claim to have any coverage), I get a usable and reasonably robust signal. Dongle cost is either about £50 or £79. I've used both and the more expensive one, which also functions as a wireless router, is worth the extra. It is bigger than the standard dongle but still hangs beside the window. Because it is wireless you can also move it around the boat to optimise the signal. Decent rechargeable battery, too.

The only rival I've heard of that nearly matches it was developed for rural farmers and comes in at several hundred pounds + fitting on the roof. Boaters who have tried this say the 3 mifi dongle is superior. I'll add details of this system later.

Mike

Many thanks to all responders. Have opted for Patricks advice and now have it up and running with "excellent" signal [previously "poor"]

Anyone else interested. Nantwich Marina are currently offering the Z-200 at £40.

Eric, pleased (and relieved!) that this has worked for you, although rather envious at the price... !