Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: German Stormtroopers

I like the figures but they're trench raiders rather than stormtroopers.
The stormtrooper ethos was to infiltrate via weak points in the lines and dominate with firepower, the portable heavy weapons are therefore spot-on for them, but I'm less struck with the preponderance of hand to hand weapons which even in the trench warfare of the period were relatively rarely used.
The MP18, developed specifically for these troops, is strangely absent.

A bit of a mixture, indeed. I suspect the two-man apparatus at the bottom is a flame-thrower, and it is well-executed; a more convincing arrangement than the other examples available.

The clubs, knives, etc are, I would agree, more trench raider than stormtrooper but not impossible, whereas the large number of grenades is a pleasant touch, especially the crawling figure with a nice full breadbag. The Bergmann MP18 would certainly have been a useful addition. Opinions vary as to how many saw service, but some certainly did, and I'm not aware of such a figure being available at present.

On the downside, the man with what looks like a ball grenade seems to be wearing the body armour with which manufacturers are besotted. The man with the 08/15 is interesting. Is he firing it from the hip? One would hope not. Fortunately, the pose is ambiguous enough for him to be simply moving up, and the helmet plate would suggest that that is the more likely. He could do with an ammunition number. But it is good to see that these poses reflect a different stage of the War from all the "standing/kneeling firing" poses with which we are so familiar.

Warwick Hunt
The Bergmann MP18 would certainly have been a useful addition. Opinions vary as to how many saw service, but some certainly did, and I'm not aware of such a figure being available at present.
Well, with so few German Stormtroops sets available it would be no surprise if a certain weapon or pose was not represented. A German with an MP18 can however be found in HaT's set of German Heavy Weapons.

Looking at these wonderful figures explains how easy it was for Germany to win the war; much clearer than any book I've ever read.

Remember - these guys can also be used for late war Austro- Hungarian and Turk stormtroopers

Dear all

I agree with comments.

When I look at the figure 2nd pic far left(grenade thrower) and the one immediately below and there seems to be at least two sculptors at work. I am not sure what the lower figure is doing or why the face is so grotesque. Maybe he is wearing a mask to go with the armour. The wire cutters also don't look right. Most 1/72nd scale WWII German tank models usually have a pair (wire/bolt cutters and very similar to German WWI types) depicted on them. The flared parts are guides for the wire to be directed onto the blades.
Some of poses are nicely animated and I hope they are compatible with the Caesar H035 and Revell sets.

David

PDA
A German with an MP18 can however be found in HaT's set of German Heavy Weapons.

I do beg your pardon. Forgot about that.

Yes forgot about him.