Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WW 1 early British Cavalry

Mr Hunt, if you go into this website, www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/gwa
and sesrch for 16th Lancers you will see a photo of the 16th Lancers on the march with lances on their backs.

Answer; both. but without would be more common.

Mr. Buckingham is correct. In fact, lances were withdrawn from the British cavalry arm in 1903 but reissued in 1909. The debate about which regiments bore them in 1914, and how often they were used, still rages.

Is there a prize ?

Dear All
Goodness, nobody spotted the horses are unicorns .
Yes I know what they are for but not for the early ones.

There seem to be two sculptors at work especially the one who can't resist the Feldman eyes.

My Grandfather O'Brien looked like Kitchener ( he was 13 yrs younger than Kitchener) my other Grandfather also had the trimmed down version of the Kitchener moustache so it must have been very popular by that very simple survey. Undeniable fact that every British male at that time of a certain age looked like Kitchener. General Melchett had the tash if you want further proof.
The pose I like best is the boring one with the rifle slung on the back and both hands on the reins give me ten of those and one of the NCO saying halt. I suppose the heads could be swapped with HaT's ALH to give the dismounted types and variations.

David

Perhaps there could be a choice of moustaches supplied; the Kitchener, the Chaplin, the horseshoe, and although not solely a moustache, perhaps the Colour Sergeant Bourne. And a David Niven perchance.

Alan Buckingham
Is there a prize ?
You win my admiration, Mr. Buckingham.

Who says moustaches don't conduct electricity. The prize will be a Kitchener moustache and a lance or rifle, whichever wins!

Lancers

Dear all

Worth remembering that out of the BEF's Ist Cavalry Division's 5 brigades and 3 regiments per brigade ie 15 regiments in total- 4 were Lancer Regiments. Lots of postcards and illustrations of this period Aug/Sept 1914 showing the British and Germans pig-sticking each other.

For example
"On 29 August 1914, C Squadron* of the 12th Lancers made a successful charge against a dismounted squadron of Prussian Dragoons."
or
"In a rare old-fashioned cavalry charge, the British 12th Lancers ride down and spear German Uhlans at Cerizy "
or
"The Germans, too, in 1914, got a taste of the same medicine. At Cerizy during the retreat the 12th Lancers got into a force of German cavalry, whose horses had been stampeded, and speared 70 or 80 of the enemy, who proved to be of the 2nd Guard Dragoon Regiment." 1928 the Canberra Times

no two accounts the same.

Probably easier to sort out whether the Romans had bendy or straight shields- remember?

David

* 3 of these per cavalry regiment