Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Turkish uniforms and Vanson

Dear Hank
Re Vanson
"The material is extensive enough to at least provide a sort of basic framework, though many questions remain unanswered, and much of the following is necessarily speculative. Vanson did few colour sketches of the Turks, though he did provide a fair number of colour notes. Unfortunately, his handwriting is not always of the best, so his extensive notes can often be difficult to decipher, not helped by his frequent use of a sort of personal 'shorthand' which can often be quite obscure. Nevertheless, he stands head and shoulders above any other source"

C A Norman

For the purposes of modelling and painting figures of Ottoman troops of the period 1853-56 I agree with C A Norman. They provide a basic framework and he did take the time and trouble to view the sketches and notes in the Musée de l'Armée. I suppose if the illustrations in C A Norman's article were coloured he would be criticised for more speculation.
Vanson sketches and notes were from life and together with a few photos of Turkish soldiers provide evidence that would be hard to dismiss unless a better alternative has emerged. ILN pictures were based on sketches but engraved in the UK with a fair amount of artistic license. All evidence has caveats.
In the end we end up with the best guess for Kalafat or any other battle based on the paltry evidence available. Your dioramas speak for themselves and show an immersion in the subject which is creditable and fascinating.

David

Re: Turkish uniforms and Vanson

Hi Professori, no i disagree in a friendly way.The Vanson work is too late here, it would omit teh original uniforms.

I prefer to stand by teh lithographers sketches.The mass of early 1853 war artisits(Danube) portary a style of unifrom that Vanson has not captured,(more common use of baggy pants etc ).I stick my neck out here.Maybe he too was ovewhlemed by teh ottoman composition.perhaps he tries to solve the puzzle himslef.

Simialr thing to ww1 soft hats being skipped and just jump straight into helmet era.So It is important to start at teh begining.Not halfway thru when uniform productions were stepped up by teh portes war chest.
I think stating at Vanson is misleading.

However it is good to debate as more evidence is usually procured when these debate happen.SO tehre should be no loser if something else is found.It is good Vanson remains teh midddle /crimean peninsula war period.It should not ty to precede hard evidence of earleir years.

It is fun to try and shoulder weight but everything apaert, oitting emotions to the side, teh Lithographs of 1853 are factual documentation/observations by several artistes not just one person.

I stand my ground my friend ,time wil tell as it usually does but we can still shake teh hands and laugh aboiut it .Okay have fun

Thanks everybody for these further references and words of wisdome: i shall have no excuse for not getting down to some painting now.

all the best, steve

Author is Émile Vanson
Title is Crimée, Italie, Mexique: Lettres De Campagnes, 1854-1867,

as i say 1854 is later for me.plus he was in crimean peninsula not danube