Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Romanian Infantry 1877

Interesting thought indeed...if they do produce the Dorobanti or the Vanatori Rgts I will be buying them.

I think they appear in this short clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2jfUNRx9_A&NR=1

But can anyone tell me who are the chaps in Red? Are they dismounted Hussars of some kind...

The chaps in Red are Rosiori, regular cavalry. There were 2 such regiments in 1877 plus another 8 of Calarasi, which were part time mounted territorials much like the dorobanti infantry. These were usually dressed blue. The Rosiori had a dress much like german hussars.
In the clip you have regular line Infantry first and then dorobanti with their distinctive headdress.
Dorobanti had a white uniform inspired from peasants traditional dress but it was very inadequate for war and they campaigned all 1877/1878 war in grey greatcoats and long boots. Only the regulars, both line and vanatori fought in jackets at least for the summer. Besides as it was very hot, kepi clad units had a white cover that ran behind the head much like usual representations of the French Foreign Legion in Nort Africa.

Best regards
Mathias

I really liked that You Tube clip. What movie is that from? Anyone know?

Also, did you read the comments about that clip? F'n hilarious!

CHeers!

The clip is from a romanian TV movie about the war of independence (as the RTW is known to the romanians), made sometime in the early 80s I believe. Until 1877 Romania, although having it's own prince (from 1859, from the Hohenzollern family - he became king after this war) and a high degree of liberty within the Ottoman Empire, it didn't have it's own foreign policy, as this was done by Istambul.

Regarding the comments made about the local history, this shouln't be the first time you meet throlls on the web, right?

Radu,
Thanks for the info. I wish that movie was available on dvd.

As for the comments
I thought they were really entertaining and would venture to call no one a
troll (as I believe in free speech).

Romanian history is very interesting and I hope the 1877 line does well.

Cheers!

I think the clip is from the Roumanian movie:

Pentru Patrie

I got it from a Canadian seller who sold a lot of Roumanian historical movies. Great battlescenes.

True you can paint Roumanian infantry from Russian or even ACW figures in frockcoat and the light infantry from Bersaglieri. But I would be glad to have some more in Strelets style. Dorobanti and cavalry of course too!

cheers
Uwe