Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: cavalry respirator

I suspect that in reality it was worn wherever the man wanted to wear it. A similar discussion can be had for artillerymen. Some would have put it on their chest, some over the shoulder, or on the hip, or on the horse, or wherever they liked as long as it was to hand in a hurry if needed.

The first 3 minutes of this film show it mostly attached to the horse, but there are some with it on their chests: http://www3.nfb.ca/ww1/wartime-film.php?id=531528

Perhaps it could be a separate item to stick wherever we feel like sticking it

Re: cavalry respirator

Dear PDA
Interesting movie.
As I wrote officers have the respirator on their chests "infantry" style because they do not wear bandoliers. This is so in the film clip. It is by far the best place to wear it when secured properly. The troopers have it usually over one shoulder and from your film it looks like the right shoulder. If they are using the respirator there is only one place it can be;that is on or near the chest. Notice that the respirator bag is much higher than the haversack on my pic. If you don't know the equipment it is easy to confuse the two. The strap has to be the right length (quite short) for the mask to fit and for the hose not to be strained. Stowing it is another issue as you say it could be anywhere but it should be ready to hand if a gas attack was a possibility. Giving the choice I would wear it like the soldier in my pic over one shoulder- a simple solution when you have done you simply pull the bag so it rests on your back or under your arm. Trying it is believing.
BTW at the start of the film the horses look as if they have nose bags on - these are for feed. Called nose bags but they actually go over the mouth and the nostrils are not blocked.
The horses as depicted in the Strelets models and in reality did not have goggles so eye inflammation would have been a problem and the dutiful trooper would have covered his mount's eyes hence I say they would stay dismounted.

David

very useful set

Wow a pleasant surprise seeing these, looking past the Respiartor issue.

These could be converted easily to be horse artillery or mounted semaphore team.Thanks strelets these will be very useful.

Also easy to make lancers from these.