Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RTW Russian Dragoons

Dear All

The dragoon uniforms were similar to the infantry ie single breasted. The colours of the cuffs ( which should be deeper), shoulder boards and collar patches denoted the regiment. From paintings it seems that the headgear was either a kepi or furashka (peaked hat). The Imperial emblem on the front of the kepi is new to me but could be a hangover from previous styles.
Apart from the uniforms, the poses don't lend themselves to patrolling as there are no dismounted ones like those on the box art or to attacking as none seem to be firing their carbines. The Zvezda GNW Russian Dragoons offer a more useful set of poses. Late 19th c Dragoons armed with breech loaders meant that they were returning to their traditional role as mobile infantry.
Finally some of the figures have disproportionate heads or weedy chests. The infantry figures have much better proportions.

David

Not one of the artwork poses are in the masters. Again, another wasted opportunity. How many years have we asked for dismounted cavalry poses, in plastic, and still none. I buy figures for the figures, not the artwork.

If that dismounted firing pose behind the horse was in plastic, I'd buy a bunch of boxes to make up skirmish fight in many numbers. Why do I need more than one box of guys sitting looking off into the distance looking more like the lost patrol compared with a skirmishing/fighting patrol?

I know this sculptor has awesome skills, but the talent just isn't showing up in this set. Somebody should take the reins off of him and let him run with new ideas to showcase his unbridled abilities.

This is meant to be constructive criticism for what potentionally should be an awesome set.

Mr. O'Brien's observations very much coincide with my own.

On the plus side, Early WWI Belgian cavalry wore double-breasted tunics, although with a shorter skirt than than those sported by these chaps.

I wonder where the "problem" is. Maybe did the painter use officers as his template not realizing infantry had less button and single split.

Or is it just older jacket in service with a remote unit.Things did not happen so quickly in those days.
look at the transport system.Okay rtw steam train was
evident in russia and romania but different rail sizes."Road" system still blocked/effected by adverse weathers.

Changes of uniforms across an army take serious time to implement but you try tell that to mOdern historians.

It is liek many disbelieve bicornes were worn by some dutch-belgian carabinier at waterloo.Okay regulations were more or less treated as guide lines and subject to supply from manufacturers finding regiments posted at battlefields, depots etc.some colonels could not afford those purchases etc .Soldiers deducted for uniform pay common method.

I think the relaity is ,finding teh uniform factories production data invoice to military and then supply records.i think 2-4 years is probally the c19th crossover period. Much pf these records lost captured
thrown away over time.space in depots not very big.Especially if transported outside own country to a distant war.But is fun to explore.The strelst figures are nice but a horse or kamel is not a egood firing platform so i am glad we do not have those figures.

then we have A CONCEPT THAT MAY HAVE BEEN MUCH OVERLOOKED ...captured uniforms utilized in cost saving to be just dyed and then put into service with a change of buttpons etc. I often wonder... if only these magnificent unifrom taylors did not write a book we ma know alot more details.
Have fun

Re: RTW Russian Dragoons patrol arrive on website

frederic, i delayed to send parcel as i had more to add for you.you will understand when it arrivee when you get it, its the last of them i had.enjoy han k

Re: RTW Russian Dragoons patrol arrive on website

Dear Han K,

Thanks a lot for all, really.
Could you send me your personnal email adress or your postal adress ?
I would want to send you something, me too.

My email adress is :
fr dot aubert at free dot fr

Thanks in advance for this (and for all !).
Fred

From Russian Dragoons to French III républic "Hussards ou Chasseurs"

the figures can be easily transform to french hussar or "chasseurs à cheval" of the third republic with green stuff to transform the double-breasted tunic as a dolman.
The shako looks like to this scale of the French shako. The only problem is the saddle with the shabraque "dents de loup". we need to replace the horses of this set by the horses of the WWI German cuirassiers box set with some modification.

Re: From Russian Dragoons to French III républic "Hussards ou Chasseurs"

Wow i think we will have much convertability discusion with teh advent of Strelets RTW range figures, and i mean that in a very positive way.

Yes what a breath of fresh air it is. Opens more doors in our hobby. Also we should think about other figures suitability coming back as well as forward in time.

OR WWI EARLY BELGIUM CAVALRY

Look at Osprey Ment at arms 452 plate c "trooper, 1st chasseurs à cheval".
the Belgian cavalry does not exist in 1 / 72, we will finally be filled oppose the German cavalry skirmishes for the beginning of the 1st World War.

Re: OR WWI EARLY BELGIUM CAVALRY

Here is a Belgian Chasseur à Cheval, 1914. The basic uniform style was standard for all cavalry (Chasseurs, Lancers, and Guides), differing only in colour. After a few weeks, even the different types of headgear were abandoned, all troops wearing the sidecap.

WWI EARLY BELGIUM CAVALRY

The masters for this set look like they are based on your pic, Warwick Hunt.

And I wonder if this is a good time to mention Human evolution. One of the distinctive features of Homo sapiens is their aprognathic face.

Re: WWI EARLY BELGIUM CAVALRY

There's never a bad time to discuss aprognathism. This chasseur appears in several other pictures in the series, mounted and dismounted, and seems to have been something of a poseur. It might be justifiable martial pride; then again he might suspect that he is a bit of a handsome devil, and he probably has a point. He certainly strikes a rather more flamboyant pose than the majority of his comrades. Either way, he seems to have enjoyed having his picture taken.

One wonders what became of him.