Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SUGGESTION FOR REQUESTING COLLECTORS

It is interesting to me that many collector SAY they want this and that...but what i dont see is their commitment evidence to a particulat range. What do they give to show teh manufacturers sincerity.

As an example for all teh strelets and hat production i do not see many big collections that could help to promote expansions of particular range.

I return to hobby in 2004 after 5 year absence. I see continual Napoleoniques and Roman superbe representation from Germany which seem to be Teh hub of the hobby. I dont think USA or UK can touch them for diodramas size and planning and representation.Compliments to the Germany collectors, i envy you collectors untied ability to "team up" and make very inspiring projects on a regular basis.

I do see in these forum contribtuions some excellent painted figures which is very nice and museum standard as samples or exhibit, but beyond a box is not happening very much. Where have all teh big battle collectors gone.

If some of my fellow forum article author would show us what they are doing with their collections i could understand more their requests to Strlets. But i cannot understand why people ask Strelets Hat orion etc for things if i could not show a form of committmnet that for their figures.I hope we see more contributions submitted supporting teh articles and requests.

iT is good to share.I am not best painter in world but is amazing what seen a little conversion idea to ine is a great idea to another.It also help us all to expand our collections a little maybe as temporary until we see teh complete replicant produced yes.

So lets see your collections guys.It is not just about how well you paint , but teh ideas and composition you have with teh figures.

The main reason I haven't posted anything is that I am really a terrible painter. My figures look ok when viewed at a distance as part of a massed formation. However close up pics would be an embarrassment given what regularly shows up on Strelets and HaT's sites. To show how little I think of my painting ability, I spent last weekend stripping some reiter squadrons that I had just pained last year.

Most of my recent work has been western Renaissance ca. 1600, and has involved a fair number of conversions. At some point in the not too distant future I will post something detailing some of my conversions. However I would really like to have a couple of decent paint jobs to go with them. At the moment my commitment is evidenced by the number of sets that I am buying.

Dear Bill,

Whether you like to paint your figures or convert them - or both - your forum friends want you to share your work. This hobby is about "The Art of the Toy Soldier" and there are no restrictions or limits to this. Over the years I've never submitted anything painted, but the forum owners and friends have been gracious about my conversions. There is no such thing as bad art. Just go for it!

GC

yes that is so Garrison.

I sent my unpainted rough conversions to strelets and they dispaly them with contributions. turk infantry and cavalry and band figures russian band figures,.These are simple conversion i hope help me expands an opportunity.I tend to use blob of paint or glue to build up any slack gap.i am lazy to use green stuff.

But there are certain people like GC who can make a hairline conversion and u can not see teh cut line.I was inspire by him. Awesome skill his boer war brittish artillery and elephant artillery and forts.So not everything needs to be painted.is better to try than not.

Its your concepts and thought that we see can help each other. i hope to an idea or a fill in ,in absence of SR making a certain figure,at least we have a part utilized SR figure in the frame .

Apart from just buy them,I try to give back to SR these photos, is my way to say thankyou. They are not maestropieces by Daikaigan/ masimo costa or monsieur tacacs .professori obrien but i try. we all have different approach/

Hi Head for the gun,

Why, I've suggested to strelets some "early WWI French cavary", 1) Strelets box set Germans'cavalry needs some enemy (not only russian) 2)I like to make some convertion, but make french light WWI cavalry is not so easy and I'm not a master like Massimo Costa who make a great job.
3) The uniform seem very attractive to paint.
And last but not less some of my ancestry were in the French and Belgium cavalry during the first world war
By the the way, some years ago I had put some of my own painting figures on french site, now I put them in a showcase in my living room or I paint for some friends of mine.
Regards
D.RICHARD

richard, be nice to see those figures and method how you display them.

Hi,

I've posted some pictures a few years ago on the follow website :
http://soldats.empire.free.fr/

and ETS (HAT website)

Actually I'm painting some Italeri french dragoons converted in "French Gendarmerie" and "Gendarmerie of the Imperial Guard", they 're almost finish and some Italeri French Imperial Headquater,(all figures converted, painted without varnish for the moment)and some artminiaturen, painting in progress (1/72 metal napoleonics figures)

Regards

D.RICHARD

Dear all

I enjoy the pics at Benno's forum which is not based on any particular manufacturer's products. Medieval and WW2 seem popular on that forum as well as Nap.Wars. HaT's gallery section reflects their product ranges so Colonial, Nap. etc are well represented. How these tie in with actual purchases is anybody's guess.
A lot of my recent pics have been done using a flat bed scanner which is quick and convenient but not very good for gargantuan dioramas or any diorama. Would it be heinous to "construct" an army using Photoshop? One box would probably do and they use similar techniques in films now and no problem with depth of field. Most 3D programs have haze and depth of field effects and similar can be done with Photoshop so the ropey close up lens effect, if you want it, can still be emulated.

I suppose with a small scale the detail gets lost but the parade side seems to be neglected as most figure sets have "at battle" poses. The French WWI Cavalry uniforms were certainly paraded a lot and the argument, rightly or wrongly, is if they were not in the thick of fighting then they are not worth doing.
A parade or "battalion photograph" would occupy less space but use more figures than a battle. A higher density of figures per square inch could be achieved. If I wanted to do a 1918 victory parade I would be hard pushed to find suitable figures except for Airfix one of the WWI British and my French would have to be one handed cyclists. A correct parade or on the march set should have different human types but the poses could be similar. Because of the quadruplication of poses one or two sets suffices for a diorama using the standard format of current "battler" sets especially with WWI and WWII and post war. It must be the same with war gamers because troops cover larger areas so the packed density is not needed. Kursk would be a good diorama but it would probably occupy a space the size of Devon in 1/72nd scale- OK maybe Rutland without the water then.
As a child my local toy shop used to sell out of the Britains plastic "shooters" and have a tray full of shoulder arms remaining -ugh. Maybe there is an intense dislike of marching or parade figures now but Britains figures saw it as their staple c 1900.

So French WWI cavalry on the march (or parade) - yes but not with those extravagant sabre brandishing (x poses*), lance prodding poses. To me the attraction of this period is the flamboyance and colour of the early cavalry uniforms and these are best shown off in the parade mode.

David

*the legs and arms make a letter x