Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FAVORITE SET OF ALLTIME SO FAR

Hold up GC,MGB doing good in california tehre is a whole pod of tehm in this tri county area . Climate here is so good even aircraft live for teh ever.
Too small or me i need teh sedan car..

best non STreets set well that must be zVEZDA Napoleonique russian artilley ,best airfix wagon train.

robin hood why we get in usa is terrible

this robin hood is worse than gilligan island. and dr who is a terrible. who would use money to make these bad programs why do we need to see another version of a boring story. why did robin hood get into 1/72 mst be airfix biggest mistake.

i think usa should send back to europe with teh best soap of all time greenacres.Makae them suffer what we have.

Re: robin hood why we get in usa is terrible

Dudes, I love the sets Caeser are producing at the moment, especially the modern US forces.

Dear Hank

Even though I was younger I was still able to recognise that these Airfix sets were generic medieval sets and the first in 1/72nd( actually OO/HO )scale. Airfix's many mistakes are well documented in the books on the history of the company and this set is not, to the best of my knowledge, cited as one of them.

David

Dear Hank
Airfix was a British Company and often produced models in response to what was popular in Britain at the time hence the Airfix "Robin Hood" based on the TV show with Richard Green , "Tarzan" another TV show played by Ron Ely, "The High Chapparal" Western TV Show with Linda Crystal Lief Ericson, Cameron Mitchel, Mark Slade and Henry Darrow, all modelled in the set the main disapointment for me at the time was no mexicans were included..... all good fun shows and very popular with me as were the airfix sets that they spawned...
It should be remembered this is all fantasy and the figures were actually intended as TOYS......

other TV related Airfix models include "Supercar", "Fireball XL5","Captain Scarlet" Angel Interceptor... all classics from Gerry Anderson TV shows....

"Dr Who" originally played by William Hartnell quite simply a SF Classic, first aired as a "live" show Dr Who was immensly popular in the sixtys and rightly remains so today....

Films...

Dr Who and the Daleks 1965
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEsYYj9FzRo

Invasion Earth 1966
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPBKkvuR2zg

Andrew Keir who features in invasion earth also played Quartermass another popular TV offshoot..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V304l3hm8JA

Classic British Sci-fi

Cheers

WORST SET OF ALL TIME; SO FAR

ANYTHING BY STRELETS!!!

THEIR FIGURES ARE UGLIER THAN A TURKISH BRIDE.

Ironside - I like your ferret

Dear Ironside

That ferret seems to get everywhere.

I still have episode 2 to watch of the latest Dr Who. Thank goodness for Iplayer.
I seem to remember going to an exhibition of the stuff (props and costumes)in Blackpool (closed Nov 2009) and Lands End a long time ago(Tom Baker, Sylvester McCoy days?) but the exhibition web site is almost unrecognisable as they have flourished beyond belief.
http://www.doctorwhoexhibitions.com

The action figures and accessories sell very well too.

David

Re: Do we have some personal business here

Stane, That is low ball.What bring this on. You attack me IS fair enough, but do not attack Strelets they have done so much for this hobby.You do nothing ever.

Pity to you. You are only teh jealous you have 1 wife.the only ugliness i see is your self destructive attitude which you call humor.I think we all laugh at you and not with you...

You hide in a false name in false ip but a word of advice ...

if you look in teh message detail of receiving transmissions you ALWAYS find teh X-Originiating IP address....Go look before you keep shooting your feet and mouth off again....

Re: WORST SET OF ALL TIME; SO FAR

Johnny Spaghetti-Stain
ANYTHING BY STRELETS!!!

THEIR FIGURES ARE UGLIER THAN A TURKISH BRIDE.

After buying their 1812 Russians and GNW Curassiers (to convert to SYW) I agreed, but I just got the Medieval Levy set 2 and am very happy to say these figures are really good! I won't be ashamed to paint them and field them alongside my Italeri Revell and Zvezda troops. The ACW Union Staff set is also very well done.

As for Airfix and Robin Hood, this set is invaluable for anyone fielding a medieval army where hordes of revolting peasants - especially archers are needed. They are finely sculpted too, much better than some of the other early sets and miles ahead of the butt-ugly Troll-like "Waterloo" range

Re: WORST SET OF ALL TIME; SO FAR

people were not so pretty in those days, poor diet and very little health care medicines except local apothecary , much disease present.so i would say the figures are aesthetically correct from that perspective.if you look at period art in depth you look at the portraits and even rich look sick.

do not forget the medici's italy and the mass population deaths in renaissance time. scurvy cholera pox ledt their marks.

STRELETS FIGURES ROCK ,NO CISSY BOY FIGURE HERE .

time changes everything

Dear Hank

There are no absolutes in human beauty or prettiness that will stand the test of all time and all peoples. In 500 years time people will be so stunningly beautiful and homogenised that concepts of cosmetic surgery will be a laughable, degenerate feature of the 21st century. Maybe?. Drink, smoking, over indulgence etc also ravage the human body as much as any disease. The fit peasant stock of medieval Europe, muscular and lean would probably suit 20th/21st century concepts of an outdoor, tanned, skinny ideal beauty. The Medieval wealthy and privileged, of course, cultivated a different appearance to show their ascendancy.
Small pox scars would not show up on a 1/72nd scale figure. Leprosy certainly would, though I am not sure how this affects an ideal of beauty. More tolerant? less tolerant? Michelangelo's David represents an ideal borrowed from the Ancient Greeks and gives few clues as to the appearance of the average disease ravaged, poxy, haggard Florentine bods if that was the norm.

Some of the figures in Strelets 904,905 sets look effeminate and foppish but entirely appropriate for 18th century gents and court life.

David

Re: time changes everything

My vote is for the Airfix Ancient Britons (known as "Gauls" in France and as "Barbarians" in Germany...)

Of course the cart wheels spoil the authenticity, but otherwise the set holds up very well today, unlike their Roman opponents.

The new Doctor Who is very hit-and-miss. Some episodes are terrible, some of the worst writing ever.

But 4 or 5 stories so far have been brilliant, and the writer of most of these has just taken over as producer of the whole show, so expect the quality to improve significantly.

Keep an eye out for "Blink" and "Human Nature", the best two stories so far.

http://danowen.blogspot.com/2010/01/doctor-who-russell-t-davies-years.html

I have no time for the new Robin Hood shows.

By the way, Robin Hood was from Sheffield (like me!) He lived in the 14th, not the 12th century, and there never was a "Sheriff of Nottingham". The actual title was "Sheriff of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire".

sheriffs

Dear Flashman

Yes I knew Robin Hood was credited with being born in Loxley, etc. My understanding is that the Sheriff is a fictional character in the legends and stories though the Sheriff of Nottingham was instituted in 1449-so he was real as was the person I knew. The High Sheriff of Notts, Derbys and the Royal Forests is another office (from the Norman conquest onward) though most again came from Nottingham or Notts including the Clifton* family with a family seat about 4 miles south west of Nottingham.

David

* I belonged to the Clifton cub pack and we had services in the Clifton St Marys church which has monuments, memorials to the Cliftons and is near Clifton Hall.

Paul Ribbery look alikes

Okay gothic hairstyles like this Bayern Munchen French superstar soccer player and more shaved head figures .Lady fogures with big foreghead and Portly guys with potbellies/Throw in some lepracy and teh mad munks.

No doubt hollywood will projecyt Russel Crow as Robin Hood and Will scarlett as jsut good friends like they make Sherlock Holmes and Doctior Watson ....um brothers.enjoy. i wont.