Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: norman before battle

David O'Brien
Dear GG

I have tried on a re enactor's Norman chain mail and it wasn't so heavy that it required two men and a pole. I could easily pick it up with one hand and put it on like a heavy knitted sweater.Folded up I could carry one on each shoulder so two men should be able to better four between them so these two are scrimshankers,idlers.

Hehe, still it seems these from the "..On The March" set are based on armour porters in the Bayeux Tapestry although they're carrying swords and helmets too:

http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/Enlargement.aspx?id=IH164035&ext=1

Re: norman before battle

Dear Steve O

The helmets also had the funny little nasal bit which made a very jolly carrying handle. The three on the right are breaching the union rules and carrying two hauberks between them. Of course the Bayeux tapestry is highly stylised and they probably did carry at least four but try embroidering that without the benefit of perspective. Three full size hauberks* would be about a hundredweight so no different to carrying a cwt sack between two men.

David

*The one I tried on was the smaller version - hauburgeon see the box art.