Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ideas to improve Strelets' research

Doesn't affect the figures, but the box artist might do a bit of research into the Union Flag. (There were some interesting articles recently about the Trafalgar Union Jack that sold at auction - it was hand made, and didn't fully conform to heraldic accuracy, but by the time of the Crimea, national flags would probably be factory produced)

Re: Ideas to improve Strelets' research

Did teh gards not have a specific section in quarter masters department with at least 12 ranks of sowers who duties included to maintain flags companie pinions etc after battle repaur bullet holes etc. tehre is shelton photograph in crimea of all the regimant sowers sitting at work.ps they also have a harness repair guy and leather equipment repairer.

i am disturbed how i have always under represented teh hq elements and support wagon in my armies.The neverending story of Kalafat 6 is expanding in an introverted way.

again research and translation may be the key issues of common ground.i also prefer contempary books etc.
what an improvement in tramslators babylon is wonderful.

Come on SR lets go ...we're ready for next releases and it kill me to know what is in last assault on sevastopol.chuckle

Remember, Remember the 5th November

Dear all

5th November = Inkerman

These are scans of some of the Crimean War Guards Brigade I modified. One is depicted as for the Alma the others are for Inkerman. In fact kneeling figures are OK as they hid behind low walls, bushes etc in a fluid battle or they were exhausted. The cannon fire from the Russian batteries also had men ducking as a cannon ball came at a speed that enabled the very fast to dodge it. They describe it as the speed of a cricket ball. Some units were well kitted out others were not as they were hastily assembled and there is mention some troops even had Russian greatcoats,boots and forage caps though not usually the full set.

Comparison to show the difference in height.

Height is a problem so the Strelets figures need to heightened by 2.5 - 3mm in the lower part of the greatcoat as these chaps are short in the thigh. BTW some of the bearskins are modified to more of a circular cross section and I replaced the bayonet scabbards and frogs.

A simple conversion which I just lashed together to show is with a forage cap borrowed from the Highlander set. The Guards forage cap was different to other infantry regiments the ribbons at the back need trimming off and some of the detail sanding off.

The figures would be better off without backpacks.

More of this style of great coat are required as they would do for the other regiments in the Crimea but the poses in this set are very similar often the difference being a backpack.

I provided a flag, the Queen's colours, a while ago it is still in the contributions section. In fairness the British flag is one of the most difficult to get right.

David

Re: Remember, Remember the 5th November

Those conversions look great. Thanks for sharing David!!!

Professori conversions you very smart pants you do good.That finesse would kill me and raise bloed pressure through teh roof.i wonder if you breathe when do this.quite a transformation and suttle.Thank for sharing

Dear Hank and Jan

Strelets figures are better than they look at first glance. The quality control needs to be beefed up as PSR is right and I have been saying for a while that the body proportions have become more inaccurate (short thighs and over sized heads but not all) and the heavy detail is unnecessary and counter productive. The Crimean War French infantry are the same. Not everybody is mad (like me) enough to take the trouble to rectify the mistakes. You will note that the comparison figure curves slightly hence the head is at a slight angle. The Alma (summer) Guardsman for example is lengthened just below both knees (two pins). They now make worthy opponents for the Strelets CW Russian Line infantry.

David

Re: Remember box set of 44+ figures

Oh sometime i get real down with only 12 figure,it feels hobby depressed. I am wishing for good old days of 44+ box set.

Why we lose 75% of a set i am not very well accepting this scale of a hit more for less.Thta just encourage me to buy old sr sets .

Why we collectors get together and say NO to 12 fugure sets and say WE WANT 24 figure set at leasts.(x 2)Yes