Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Roman Velites

Yes, I'm glad with them too.
Not so much slingers on the market and more asian archers in roman service are always welcome.
But correct me if I'm wrong: the Velites with the wolfskin are for an earlier, republican period, isn't it?
Well, they are welcome in my armies nevertheless.

I'm a bit confused as I have always used the word velites to mean the wolf skin wearing, javelin wielding light infantry of the Republican period (highly necessary for dealing with pesky pachyderms, I seem to recall) whereas the other figures seem to be Syrian archers from the early Imperial period and the slingers seem pretty generic, although I suspect they are 1st and 2nd century AD as well. I'm happy to be corrected as I am certainly no expert. I'm concerned that this might limit the appeal of the set. The only Roman period I like is the late one and I certainly like the look of those slingers as they seem fairly well clad and to my mind would not be out of place in a later army but having to buy 48 figures to only use 12 of them could put me off - similarly, if someone wanted just the wolfskin guys for a Repblican army then they will face the same problem. What do other people think, have Strelets made a bit of a ricket here are are they correct in terming these figures velites and that they are contemporary?

I intend to use them in different armies. The archers and slingers will fit in with any number of mercenary units over several centuires and the actual wolfshead velites will skirmish for their Republican comrades. All are welcome and will find a home in some army.

hello
for the men with the wolfskin
look at [imperial rome at war](ref 6002) second dacian war 105 ad

Unfortunatly Velites formed the poorest class in the polybian and earlier legions of the republic a number of which were attached to each maniple, they effectively disapear with the reforms of Marius.....
after which this class would have served as normal infantry......

Cheers