Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Crimean French Infantry!

These look great! Can't wait! Thanks! Love the poses!

Re: Crimean French Infantry!

I agree! A great looking set with lots of character. Congratulations Strelets. Overall, I would love to see more French 19th Century sets and opponents.

Just imagine if Srelets made ACW

as beautiful as these French soldiers. Bravo, Strelets.

Re: Just imagine if Srelets made ACW

this set i fantastic but please someone answe my proposal listed pelov

Re: French Line, Great, but...

I applaud Strelets adding some french line for their Crimeans but,
there's a serious uniform or, rather, equipment error on the figure (s).

The line infantry, at this time, used a straight socket bayonet not a
sword bayonet! The sword bayonet came into general use well after the war!
(not even in 1859 against the Austrians did this bayonet come into general
use).

It's possible some elite companies used the sword bayonet at this time but,
hey, those represent only a small portion of a french battalion (2 companies).
I could find no pictorial evidence of the sword bayonet being used even
by them.

Just thought I'd save Strelets some embarrassment (PSR is sure to trash them
on this).

FYI
Gome

Re: French Line, Great, but...

Dear Gomer

You are right. They are a bit heavy and large to boot so lopping them off and replacing them with a slender affair out of plastic rod is fine with me.
Embarrassment? well as the French say it is a fait accompli. What you see is what you will get is usually the case.

David

Who cares?

PSR is so far behind right now that by the time they get to this set, everybody will already own it & it will not matter! They haven't even finished Hat's E13 group & E14 is already here! There are other Strelets' sets to be reviewed as well + some from Zvezda & Dark Dream they haven't done yet, but they still have time to review Valdemar & LW? Priorities gentlemen!

Re: Who cares? I do!

The reason I mention it at all is it might not be too late
to change the error (PSR notwithstanding).

If your going to go through all this trouble (and money) to make French
Line Infantry, do them right!

There's nothing wrong with accuracy. We should demand it.
Strelets have had problems concerning this matter in the past, just thought I
could help.

As far as modifying them I've got enough inaccurate figures to modify
thank you very much!

Re: Who cares? I do!

Sorry Gomer! My comment was on "Who cares about PSR's opinion?" not who cares about historical accuracy & correcting the problem before it occurs. Your comments were good & needed to be heeded!

Please dont line me up against a wall and shoot me for this, but how would this set go being converted to ACW troops in long coats??

There is a group of forum members from the US who are looking at creating a giant scale ACW diorama, and one comment made was on the lack of ACW troops in long coats for certain battle periods.

cheers Mike McA

Hi Mike,

better to convert the British Grenadiers into Union troops.

As for the French, I am happy to use them for 1870 with the Jakatan.

For the Crimea I hoped for the old shako worn at the Alma.

cheers
uwe

Hi Mike,
Apart from the epaulettes, I can't see why not. At this scale, any other minor uniform discrepancies don't really matter and can be concealed by a decent paint job. Some of mine will see action in the ACW, with other sets facing the Prussian Landser.

Hi Mile, Yes is a very interesting time french towards ACW time. I hope to see some stirring command
figures for these and French CW Artillery (the majority of artillery in cw allies...)

I am hoping so much almost as much as i did for CW Turks for CW french Artillery.

They won't work for ACW -- no troops on either side of the conflict wore their greatcoats in the French manner, with the skirts turned back, and the American greatcoats didn't have epaulettes. Given the differences in greatcoat cut and style and the subtle differences in kepis worn by ACW units versus the French style, I don't think any of the 19th century French sets on the market work as ACW troops. These guys are much more at home in the Mexican intervention, Italy in 1859 (if anyone can ever produce a decent set of Austrians for them to fight) and against the Germans in 1870.

No, Samogon, NOT 1859. Mexico yes, later yes.

Sword Bayonet (Yataghan, Jatagan) not used (at least en masse in 1859)

The EMHAR kits are excellent. I recommend them highly.

That kit works for ALL the wars.

Not to mention the ACW infantry overcoats had standing collar and a non-removable, elbow length cape!

Samogon
They won't work for ACW -- no troops on either side of the conflict wore their greatcoats in the French manner, with the skirts turned back, and the American greatcoats didn't have epaulettes. Given the differences in greatcoat cut and style and the subtle differences in kepis worn by ACW units versus the French style, I don't think any of the 19th century French sets on the market work as ACW troops. These guys are much more at home in the Mexican intervention, Italy in 1859 (if anyone can ever produce a decent set of Austrians for them to fight) and against the Germans in 1870.