Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Are English opponents coming too?

I have to point out that the Jacobite conflicts did not involve Scotland v England. The Jacobites were predominantly drawn from Catholic Highland clans, while the government - not English - forces included many Lowland Protestant Scots' regiments. I'm a Scot and proud of it. Britain does not equate with "England". There are also Scots, Irish and Welsh in the grouping, none of whom would thank you for describing them as "English".

Re: Jacobite composition

Sorry to disagree, but the bulk of the Jacobites were Episcopalian (breakaway equivalent of Church of England)and were not really Highlanders as such, they were mainly from the North-East of Scotland/central Scotland. Some highland clans may have been Catholic, but this was not really an important factor. Note that in the 1715 Rising the "Protestant" Campbells fought on both sides, those of Breadalbane supporting James VIII.
They did, apparently, wear higland dress.

BTW I'm delighted to see more Jacobites out there to supplement the GM figures. Artillery and opponents next, please.

For the first time, i think the GM set is better than what i see from strelets- at least more beautiful sculpting.. if only GM would keep that work it could deserve more respect

Hi Mark,
The Stewarts, Clan Chattan, Clan Donald and most other major sources of Jacobite manpower were from the west and north-west of Scotland, not the east. There were very few clans in the farmlands of Aberdeenshire, Angus and the Mearns. Clan Campbell - from Argyll in the far west - took the government side out of vested self-interest, as they usually did back to the time of Robert the Bruce. It was Campbell militia who carried out the government-sponsored massacre of MacDonalds at Glencoe.

This is a small time campaign i think is rebel natives against government teh dress limits the use of the figures.

maybe tribal war.maybe use for canada militia against india/french. IF NO OPPONENTS what is the point of making ?

Ian Bruce, I'm decended from Campbells of Argyle. You
are correct about the Campbells supporting the Government, and about most of the Jacobites being
Catholics. I'm interested in most aspects of Scotland's history, but am not very partisan about it.
We Campbells were pretty self-serving, or clever, de-
pending on your point of view! The new figures look great and I'm eager to see them. I hope they will make
artillery sets for both sides, plus Government infantry and dragoons.

Hi Britsfan. The Campbells always tried to be on the winning side, and it's the winners who tend to write history. There's still a sign on the main hotel in Glen Coe village in the heart of McDonald clan territory which reads: "No tramps, hawkers or Campbells welcome." They have long memories up there.

Too right Ian.
My mother is descended from the MacDonalds.
We still won't touch Campbells soup.
oubliez je ne puis

Not to forget that is was MacDonalds that burnt down a church full of MacLeods at Trumpan.
http://www.gael.net/tableshotel/trump.html

Soup, or burgers, I think I'll keep eating them all.

Cheers,

Stan.

My mum never talks about that.
I seem to remember that the Keiths did something similar to the Gunns.
Rough lot in those days. Just a lot of squabbling families. No wonder they couldn't get together to thrash the English etc.

We never eat at MacDonalds either. We are suspicious of the 'meat'.

Its Burri ! whats wrong with that ?

We need enemies for the Jacobites!

I stand corrected, instead of English I should have said British government forces. Nevertheless, I hope that Strelets have already started working on Jacobite enemyopponent sets because as Hank noted above, there is no point buying sets with no one to fight! (Like the Stelets US Cavalry).

Jacobites- not entirely correct

Dear All

to pick up Bill N's point

The Irish fellas who faced the followers of William III (Williamites) at the Battle of the Boyne were also Jacobites.

Osprey have got it right

give dates - the Jacobite Rebellions 1689-1745
a specific army- the Scottish Jacobite Army 1745-46
a type of warrior- The Highland Clansman 1689-1746

Irish Jacobites fought the British (Prince William the Duke of Cumberland) at the Battle of Fontenoy in 1745 as the Irish Brigade of the French army and were part of what inspired Bonnie Prince Charlie to unsuccessfully reclaim the Kingdom for the Stuarts.

So the British should be called Hanoverians though Government forces seems OK but the Jacobites by the look of them are Scottish Jacobites or Highland clansmen.

David