Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re:

David , professori ...i always perceived teh guards were stuck fighting to a standstill like in mud ,unable to push or be pushed by the superior numbered russians off until the fresh french battalions arrived, saved them with BRAVO allez les bleus, right flank attack.the english prince himself almost cut off close to that time.(ahem mutter mumbles)

yes sets re appearing on ebay,some dealers have second stock arrive.huzzah !!! when arrive usa is H hour. I hope to see your painted ones before me.

yes infantry cavalry(be it bashi-bazouks ) 6 riders and horses with 24 bashi-bazouk infantry in one set
beg beg teh creep creep to S-R.

a turkish artillery set with ammomules and arabas carts.(throw in a camel and is concept to supplement hats nile war explosion).old type obus 12pdr and krupp
plus limber could cover this period well.Obus used thru ww1.i know get carried away....okay go paint me some turks and send to the forum,you have an artistic eye.

Re: British Guards

These chaps look a little stumpy to me.
British Guards were always selected from the taller soldiers.
Perhaps the heads are a little large, giving the illusion of short body size.
Otherwise, the overall sculpting looks good.

Re: Re: British Guards

I wondering often, if they guards wore bearskins at waterloo would it frighten teh french infantry ?

Re: Re: Re: British Guards Inkerman and tallness

Dear Hank

Inkerman was a lot like the Napoleonic Wars or the Peninsular War in particular and the Russian tactics were based on column attack so Nappy fans would feel at home with this battle. The victories in the Peninsular war were often shouted out, as a spur in the form of "come on lads remember...." the Spanish /Portugese place name (eg Albuera) pertinent to the regiment. The British and French used bayonet charges to thwart or hold up the Russians who were nearly always vastly superior in number. The role of allied artillery was important to the battle as was the superior Minie rifle. In 1813 it took 459 shots to cause 1 casualty and at the Alma and Inkerman, 16 allied shots to cause one casualty. The battle was left to the allied field officers who showed they were very able with some notable exceptions to conduct a successful battle "on the hoof". Michael Barthorp calls it " a ding dong melee" which seems a good description. The Coldstream Guards ( oops-the Strelets figures) had 60 men known for their marksmanship acting as individual sharpshooters or snipers (not skirmishers) who would have used available cover and acted individually. My guess is they would not have worn the bearskin in this role.

Tallness for Murat

My uncle was in the Grenadier Guards though not as tall as me (6 foot) he was still "lanky" looking. I think it was to do with stature as well. 5ft 8 inches was the minimum for acceptance at the turn of the 20th century though some battalions had higher height restrictions. This meant that there was quite a high proportion of six footers and above in the Guards and very few elsewhere in the British army. There were 4 Guards regiments then by the way.

David

Re: Re: Re: Re: British Guards Inkerman and tallness

Hi David,
What's the best work to read on Inkerman?
Also, you fellows don't yet have these Strelets Guardsmen, do you? You're talking about the masters, right?
Thanks,
David
dappleby@thomasquinas.edu