Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Modern french cuirassiers or dragoons?

They're the Cadets from the French equivalent of Sandhurst, which I believe is called St.Sere (I always spell it wrong, but then given my known attitude to the French, I think it's nice of me to attempt the language at all!!!!)

Re: Re: Modern french cuirassiers or dragoons?

I think you are talking about the Garde Republicaine, which has no links with the St Cyr cadets.
Check here (in English):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Guard_(France)
If not mistaken, they are the only military unit allowed to enter the Parliement premices.
Hope this helps,
Marc

Re: Re: Re: Modern french cuirassiers or dragoons?

Thanks for the link, Marc. Wikipedia has some great photos of the various men. Great looking uniforms. The infantry look a lot like S*R Crimean French Infantry.

I really enjoy seeing the various countries formal guards on parade, even if only on television.

Cheers!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Modern french cuirassiers or dragoons?

If you look carefully at the back of their horses during parade, behind the saddle (not sure if 'rump' is the proper word in English), you will notice that a chequered pattern has been 'brushed in' using a rubber template.
Cheers!
Marc

garde républicaine

This unit come from Gendarmerie Nationale with 1 cavalry regiment and 2 infantry regiment. They wear the Gendarmerie uniform of the end of the 19th century. For the cavalrymen the uniform is like the cuirassiers but without the "cuirasse". For the infantrymen they wear an infantry uniform but with blue trousers with black strip.

best regards

Re: Modern french cuirassiers or dragoons?

I think you're right! not even the same uniform, I'm a silly old Hector, a silly old Kiki hateing Hector!

Re: Re: Modern french cuirassiers or dragoons?

They are from the Garde républicaine
Presidential Guard.
About their Duty:
They (and their Infantry counterpart) are to protect the President during Parades (14 juillet and other), the high ranking people who come visit the President in Paris, the Presidential palaces (Palais de l'Elysée) , The National places, (the 2 Houses of our Parliament: Assemblée et Sénat) the Ministers Offices.
About their uniform: I was told they wear a Dragoon uniform that goes back from the early beginning of the third Rebublic. After Napoleon the third collapse after the Franco-Prussian war in 1870.
Hope this help.
Pat

also available in 1/87 scale

If I remember well, Preisser got a set of this unit.

found them!

preisser 663-10435
preisser 663-10460
All prepainted, 1/87 on horses, last one is also with flag bearer