Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: price of figures

Graham when you say £1000 in 30 years, does that mean a £1000 pounds every year or £1000 over the whole 30 years? I know that I have spent close to a thousand euros already this year on figures, Paints and other accessories

Re: Re: price of figures

I mean a thousand over the whole 30 years. Never a great buyer of metal figures - when I did it was many years ago and mainly 15mm. Obviously, if I were to invest in whole armies from Foundry or Gripping Beast and the like then I would easily be spending £1000 a year. Some years I buy nothing and still have a backlog of painting - I can only paint when I am in the mood. Biggest single purchase was some resin WWII French transports for dragoons- must have been about 15 years ago £100 for 8 trucks - seemed a lot to me at the time but I had to have authentic stuff as early war French stuff is so distinctive. Typical purchase for me to produce an army - 2 boxes Strelets Normans, 4 boxes of cavalry (Norman and Breton) and a box of Norman archers (£35 the lot) - that will give me a year's painting and 2-3 years fairly regular playing. We tend to have year long fads in my club where we play only about one period and set of rules and then we get inspired buy something else. Thinking about it I have probably spent more than a thousand but certainly less than two - which is part of the reason I like plastics, they give me access to periods that I couldn't even dream of affording in 28mm metal.

Re: Re: Re: price of figures

You obviously don't have children then - I am sure3 I spend more than that a year in GW alone :-)

But yes, since making the move into plastics my spend has decreased to a couple of hundred pounds a year now, which keeps me in loft insulation for years to come

Re: Re: Re: Re: price of figures

I used to dream about retiring early after I sold off my first-issue Airfix and out-of-production ESCI and Revell. On occasion I would put a few boxes on Ebay but there were never any huge bidding wars and it wasn't worth the trouble.
Now my boys have the "itch", and it's worth all the money in the world to watch my seven and ten year olds set up big battles on the basement floor with my "priceless" figures, and ask stuff like, "Who fought the Americans in World War I, Dad?"

Re: Re: Re: Re: price of figures

Neither of my kids were into warhammer (or wargaming for that matter) so I missed out on being fleeced by GW - now if we want to talk about what my son has cost me in trying to help him out with his cars - which he invariably crashes - then we start to talk money!

Re: price of figures

"which he invariably crashes"
Graham, Maybe it would be cheaper to send him on an advanced driving course...

Cheers

Re: Re: price of figures

Or move and not tell him where we have gone to!