Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
just loved it frank , nice way to bust me

But I maKe no apologies. It is pschological warfare ......

PsyOps and the role of subliminal messages on Toy Soldier maker output ....

Hank,

Like yourself, I'm hanging out for the Turkish CW set (actually I'd prefer sets - we need the artillery at least to defend those redoubts, and some cavalry and command wouldn't hurt).

Have a great day! Frank

Sunglasses Required

And if you are going to use RED, do not make it BRIGHT RED like the horrible shade constantly used by Imex.

My eyes haven't hurt so much since the old Hing Fat days

Re: Sunglasses Required - Terracotta is fine

Hi Patrick,

Personally, I like the Terracotta to represent Red as S*R has been doing. It shows the details quite nicely.

I have never seen a truly accurate red color. They always come out looking waxy or glowy. I think it has to be one of the most difficult colors to get the right mix of color pellets + plastic pellets before casting, and there is never consistency. Same with Airfix light blue, mid-blue ... one batch (a few boxes) are nice, then the next batch (purchase) they came out waxy.

So I do hope that Terracotta is one of S*R's mainstay colors for Red color uniforms.

Cheers!

Re: Some Advantages of ... "Rainbow Warriors"

Overall, I have always liked the Giant of Hong Kong philosophy of British in Red and French in Blue; Union Federal Troops in Blue and Confederates in Gray, and then all the Greek (Roman) Copies of Britains-Herald in the Rainbow Colors.

My point is that in general, it is first and formost best to have one very nice representative color for an army, especially if the moulds will be recycled after one run. The Crimean War Sets are the perfect case in point here.

However, in the case of Orion's Boxer Rebellion Chinese, I simply love the fact that I can buy them in all of the "Rainbow Warrior" colors. Lends authenticity.

But, but, but, I would have preferred the Orion Polish Winged Hussars Accessories and Horses be produced in the same color as the Riders. I ended up buying Terracotta and Blue and some other colors just to get interchangeable Wings, Lances, and Horses (where possible) to make-up Same-Color Sets. And then, I could enjoy that good ole "Airfix Feeling" when assembled.

So, where the British had similar uniforms such as the Lancers in Crimea and Asia in both Blue and Red, by all means, produce in both colors. I'll buy twice as many. But don't produce them in Silver for Heavan's Sake. I did buy Boxers in Silver and still can find no use for them ... :-)

I can now buy Airfix Cuirassiers in Light Blue and I'm happy about that. At the same time, the British Hussars were produced in Red. Look nicer, but ... hmm? Why not Blue? Didn't make sense that the box showed Blue any more than it made sense the Hussars and French were done in Cream/Yellow for too long.

So S*R, I would hope that you please focus on the Historically Correct Representative Color first (just as you have done so well), and then expand out to give Color Choices, but only as appropriate depending on sets, such as Blue and Red Crimean Lancer Moulds.

I'll come back to the company, Armies In Plastic, who does so well using colors. But I don't like different color horses from men.

:-)

Re: Give Me 2 Colors To Choose From, And I Will Choose Both !!! - But ... ???

The issue of which color is chosen for the figures only effects me indirectly since I paint mine. However, if multiple colors and co-ordinated colors result in more sales for the companies, we all profit, so I think it's a great idea.
If it does not disrupt the discussion may I ask what those of you who do not paint your figures do with them-wargame, display, or just look at and put away? I paint mine and then put them in boxes waiting for that "someday" when a major battle breaks out in my basement.

Ken Kasenter

Re: Re: Give Me 2 Colors To Choose From, And I Will Choose Both !!! - But ... ???

Perhaps we'll see CW Turks as the new bonus figures, each figure in a different color...

... surely the sight of bare plastic is not offensive in the 21st Century ...

Ken,

Good question - what do I do with my hoard of hordes. I cut/paste/convert then game. I'm time-constrained and I hate painting so I tend to play and have fun - as I look out on my table just now, a flight of 4 Mig-15s (1/64th scale pre-painted) overflies an unpainted 1/96 Roskopf/EKO Soviet MR Company (10xBTR50s supported by 4xPT76s with a platoon of 4xT54's, a recon unit of 2xBTR40, a ZSU-23 and a fuel convoy in support, dismounted and command troops are Airfix Modern Soviets). They are securing three 15mm villages of unpainted stonecast buildings, amongst my styrofoam hills covered in the occasional painted (model railroad) trees, as well as providing security for the convoy. There are no engineering assets, the Russians are tending to not operate offroad but their aggressive Captain is getting troops to dismount when required. I also have heaps of Orion, Esci

The insurgents (unpainted Caesar and Orion 1/72 insurgents) await with a couple of prepainted 1/72 Cararama LandRovers to ambush the convoy.

And you want me to stop having fun and start painting???

Cheers, Frank

Re: ... surely the sight of bare plastic is not offensive in the 21st Century ...

I would never want such a thing. I sometimes feel like Frederick William, building an army that someone else may end up using. Painting relaxes me, but maybe I should put the troops to work.

Ken Kasenter

Ken, It's a hobby - each of us will have our own idea of what's fun to do!

... and hopefully we can maximise that fun time. I have a few responsibilities I have to do and lots of personal stuff I like to do.

I do sometimes envy those wonderfully painted armies of friends, at shows or in magazines ... but then I think of all the extra time I'd need to find.

Cheers, Frank