Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Roman Legions

I've heard an account about ghostly Romans in a cellar, apparently they could be seen from the ankles up as the original Roman road was some inches beneath the floor surface. They were also described as having a rather motley appearance, with all kinds of kit, which lent the account some authenticity. They apparently just appeared out of one wall and marched through the other without a 'by your leave'... that's Romans for ya.

Roman Ghosts in the UK

Malcolm;

Her's an additional website that might explain the constant sightings.

http://www.derbycity.com/ghosts/ghost-16.html

Glow in the dark Romans ???

Maybe Strelets could produce a set of Roman Legion Ghosts in a clear green plastic that glow in the dark.

Fontanini of Spain has produced clear plastic sets of Pirates and French Musketeers in 90mm so it can be done. The pirates are orange and the musketeers are a yellowish green.

I am not sure if the Fontanini sets glow in the dark but the Ghost made by Papo of France does.

Re: Glow in the dark Romans ???

You could use Pantography to enlarge Strelets' Romans to 1:1 scale, then paint them in a fluorescent green. Get some dogs from the local dog catcher and teach them to howl like wolves when you have visitors. Invite a group of toy soldier collectors over, get 'em drunk. What you'll get is more ghostly sightings of Romans, Vikings, for sure Napoleon and perhaps a whole army of Crimean war Turks.

Possibly one of the reasons why those sightings tend to occur in moist basements, caves, dark forests and wargaming dungeons is that those are the ideal growing places for hallucinogenic shrooms. Inhaling a few spores might be sufficient to give you the sight of a Roman Centurion. Eating the whole thing will put you right into Nero's Domus Aurea, the world's hippest party place. Unless it kills you first...DON'T try, we still want you around!

Re: Re: Glow in the dark Romans ???

Did you or your 5 year old child compose that email???

Re: Re: Re: Glow in the dark Romans ???

Why take offense, Patrick? I'm not saying that there is no parapsychology. As far as I'm concerned, I know that there is a whole lot about humans that we Don't know.

However, I do know that people have hallucinations and they might see anything from cats and white mice to toy soldiers and Napoleon. It is part of many mental health problems and can also be evoked by alcohol, medications and recreational, illicit drugs. The experience of a hallucination makes people say that they think they see is real.

When a whole village starts to see Romans though, I agree with you, that this would not be explained by hallucinations and probably falls more into the realm of parapsychology.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Glow in the dark Romans ???

Or it could be ergotism, which some believe may have been responsible for some of the witch scares. Apparently one of the effects of consuming rye with ergot is hallucinations.

Roman built Antonines Wall

There is was/is ? a Roman built Antonine Wall north of Hadrians Wall in Caledonia(Scotland). Bears Den and Callandar as roman settlements between the walls.

Maybe Ian Bruce and his Scots fellows know a good website that records this.

Re: Roman built Antonines Wall

Wikipedia has a not bad description of the Antonine wall.

The Histories of the Roman Legions

Check this out:

http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/legions.htm

Best regards

Re: The Histories of the Roman Legions

There's a very good fictional account of a quest for the lost standard of the 1X Hispana. It's called "The Eagle of the Ninth" and is by Rosemary Sutcliffe.The son of a centurion who disappeared with the legion up in my Scottish homeland goes in search of his father and to learn the fate of the unit.