Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Question: Were there French Cuirassiers in Crimean War?

I had never heard of their participation in the CW, but then I seem to recall someone mentioned it here on this forum recently. So ...

How appropriate would the two new Cuirassier sets be for Crimean War?

Thanks Guys!

Re: Question: Were there French Cuirassiers in Crimean War?

Hi Dave,

no, just Dragoon, Hussars and chasseur Afrique beside a few Spahis.

But Cuirassiers would be useful to complete the army. I found no comments on Russian Dragoons without greatcoat too. So why not French Cuirassiers for a wargamer?

cheers
uwe

6eme French Cuirassiers stayed in Turkey

FYI The Alma (20 September 1854)
Denis Judd lists the following cavalry as being under Forey at the Alma, but they were still in western Turkey. There was present at the Alma an elite squadron of Spahis which served as St. Arnaud's headquarters guard.
(I am indebted to Tony Margrave for this information.)

Cavalry Brigade (Cassaignolles) Cavalry Brigade (D'Allonville)
6th Cuirassiers 6th Dragoons 4th Chasseurs d'Afrique 1st Chasseurs d'Afrique

http://www.crimeantexts.org.uk/backgrnd/orders.html

Re: 6eme French Cuirassiers stayed in Turkey

Hello Hank
I bet they were fighting with the Turkish Infantry.
I think it would be a good idea for Strelets to include a Turkish Infantry set in the Crimean War series. (aren't I awful!)
Cheers
Murach

Re: Re: 6eme French Cuirassiers stayed in Turkey

Hi Murat, Yes that lack of Turkish infantry sure hurts.Luckily last week a few old CW Turkish metal 20mm figures turned up in my mail box.That will give me hope there are others around.

I guess Firat (Istanbul 1/72 dealer) would be pleased too as he mentioned Hat's Ottoman figures sold well in Turkey.

Well i guess the Cuirassiers had many horse races with their Turkish counterparts.Good old fashioned PR etc.Arab horses are first rate.

Pity we dont hear much French input/involvement on the Crimean War from forumers.
Have fun always hank

Re: 6eme French Cuirassiers stayed in Turkey

Hi Hank,

try this link:

http://books.google.de/books?id=krU2AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA89&dq=bazancourt+crime

Bazancourt - History of the Crimean campaign. Sadly only in French. I have a German translation but I don't know if an English one exists. From page 353 onwards you have the French OoB for the Crimea.

In the reserve army you have the 6th Cuirassiers. But as you wrote in your link, they were in Turkey. Later the Dragoons and Hussars joint the French army and had a clash with Russian troops in 1855.

cheers
uwe

Re: Re: 6eme French Cuirassiers stayed in Turkey

Thank you, thank you guys! As badly as we need the Turkish Infantry for the Crimean War, we also need the French Cavalry.

Hank, add the French Cavalry to your list with the Turkish Infantry, Artillery, and ...

Dave be advised, my prayer mat is wearing thin

and my worry beads are worn down.But i shall add them to my daily strelets chant.
Have fun .

Re: Dave be advised, my prayer mat is wearing thin

And I, too, shall give my beads a good klickity - klackity - rub and chant, chant, chant for our much needed sets.

The S*R Team has always found a way to achieve success for all of us, so it's up to us to have faith and give faith to their efforts.

Thank you, thank you, Hank and the S*R Team for our little corner of fun on the earth !!!

Uhh?, did I mention Turkish and French Crimean War Heros?

Happy Collecting Always!

Allah-shazaam , effendi

Dave i'm worried because what is needed if the CW Turkish Infantry are produced, is a "stealth(hush, Project Fireball- XL5) Mach 10 flying carpet" to get them distributed over here rapido, once boxed before they sell out.

I heard of an elite mercenary mujahadein called Ali Babba and the 40 suicide bombers, who may be interested in a proposition to help us out and expedite the figures faster than a Sheik's racing camel.

The figures would have to be placed in a fire proof bag of course.We fill the bags with CW Turks so they dont explode.heh heh Insh-allah, amigo (Think thats er Tex-oil language)