Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Whywhywhywhy!?!

Welcome to my world Aaron! i have been complaining about this for years!
some answers for you:

alot of manufacturers bowed to the wishes of wargamers who want a neutral color to paint on so they don't lose detail when priming & painting. is this fair? heck no, but they buy the most so they get the props!

alot of it also has to do with cost cutting. it is easier & cheaper to run off sets in the same color one after the other than it is to change over. that is why we got tan AWI French & American infantry sets when Italeri has a nice light blue that they use!

HAT has come around a bit & may be coming around more. alot of their recent sets bear this out.

Red seems to be a difficult color to come up with & make the set look good! for every HAT/Airfix reissue Waterloo British inf, Highland inf + British art & Orion Pirates we get in a nice flat red, we get Imex's Mexicans + AWI Brits, Emhar's Crimean British Cavalry + French Zouaves & MPC/Airfix re-issue AWI British Granadiers in a dreadful shiney red! i guess that is why Strelets uses a brick red for their Brits! & why Revell & ESCI never attempted to make any sets in red!

I don't think Revell ever gave a **** what colors they used! some were perfect for the particular set, while others were just a mystery? at least they always did opposing colors!

Thanks to Strelets, some companies have come around (ie: HAT & Zvezda) while others will never come around! (Italeri!) all you can do is hope for the best! hope this helps?!

to both Parties

If the topic of plastic colour wasn't so important then why did "Plastic Soldier Review" run a whole page on the subject? The article basically explaining which colour should represent which nation or civilization.

I for one no longer paint the figures and wish there were a wider variety to choose from. I actually had to reorder quite a few sets after Italeri finally got smart and switched from that Gawd awful Silver.

Patrick du Nord

Patrick

You are a good man, yourself !

Has anyone tried dye?

I'd like to see figures in colors other than tan and gray too, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to dye their figures? Also, does anyone have a "spray can" painting example picture that they can post? Were any weathering techniques used to highlight the details?

Thanks,
Scott