Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crimean British cavalry shabraque

Hi Guys,

Just for the fun of it, first go to the link below, and scroll all the way to the bottom of the Home Page to see Lord Cardigan as if he had one; then go to The Crimean War/Battle of Balaclava (links at left of Home Page (May be many more examples under other battle names too)):

http://www.britishbattles.com/index.htm

Great site for Paintings and Photos of famous British Battles - Have Fun !!!

Leather in field conditions

First consider.

What effect does rain have on leather ?.
What effect does cold have on leather ?.
Consider the hot Crimean Summer then the
sub zero temperatures of the crimean.
Within months those Pall mall parade ground dudes will have been humbled to sheepskin and ragtag wearing army.

Alot of the oil in the leather will have probally dried out and shrunk along with the leather dyes.

Polish , huh barely can do much for th eleather in such conditions. It takes a few yards of wet grass to wipe off hard worked coats of polish(even todays kiwi bootpolish cannot retain the dye)

Even the Gun oil then would most likely have frozen then also and had given problems for keeping cartwheels lubricated.Often there was a easy solutuion which was used by the troops.

I saw leather webbing freeze solid in the arctic for myself, pretty hard on the skin chaffes deep until it warms up form body heat , then condensation soaks in and then it freezes when you take it off. when left even in the tent with people and animals it would still freeze.

Leather freezes like a board. And keeps the image it is left lying in.
For an entrenched army to maintain leather equipment in lets say warm weather again teh oil drys out and shrinkage starts and the stitching rots. Just think about any leather straps on mules and loads(poor packers)etc

Again hot arid conditions leather drys out. Shrinks a bit but not as bad as the freezing process.

Into the valley of death

Hi Zsolt,

do you have this book? There you have excellent colour-plates of the British cavalry. They used simple grey cloth on campaign. Like in the Napoleonic period. The rest was too expensive to spent on campaign.

cheers
uwe

Re: Crimean British cavalry shabraque

Thank You all, Guys, I hope, next week I can post some pictures.

Bye
Zsolt