Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Viking Horned Helms

Jan,
What scale are the Heller longships in? Where did you purchase them?

I've been looking for a longship in 1/72 for some time to go with my Emhar Vikings (and a Viking American Indian diorama idea I have), and I've had no luck. The BUM one doesn't look that great and that's the only one I've been able to track down. I've been waiting for the Emhar longship and rowers, but it would be great to get one sooner if possible.

Thanks,
Juba

Viking longboats and the Frankish elephant

Hi Juba,

the longboats are 1:60 scale, 2 of them in an anniversary pack for Leif Erickson. I snatched them up on ebay.
Also, some other company produces 1:72 longboats, but I forgot the name. I bought one 2 years ago, it's still somewhere unpacked in the garage.

To Strelets and all other manufacturers - but preferably Strelets: please continue the 'Dark Age series', consider to add the Frankish elephant that was used to crush the Danish army in 804. Please copy and paste:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abul-Abbas

thanks,
Jan

Re: Re: Viking Horned Helms

I have two longships that were made by Smer, but I think they are the same as the BUM ones - I have a feeling they might go way back into the dim distant past and might have been Aurora or some such. They are meant to be 1/60th and the figs that come with them are too big and ugly, which is a shame as it is a full complement of rowers. However, having checked out some reconstruction and academic sites it seems that the dimensions would be suitable for 1/72nd. The only downside is the dragon on the prow is probably too realistically sculpted and looks more fantasy type than the more stylised forms the Vikings used - so it depends on how accurate you want to be. if you go to the Harfields site from PSR links and look at the show section you will see some pics of a viking game we did this year featuring a couplee longships.

Re: Viking Horned Helms

Thanks for the info Graham Korn. What scale are the Viking game longships in the Harfield's photo? Does anyone sell them in the US?

Thanks,
Juba

Re: Re: Viking Horned Helms

The nominal scale according to the manufacturer is 1/60th but they seem to fit into acceptable size for a longship in 1/72nd. In real measurements they are approx 63mm across the beam and approx 290mm stem to stern. I know the photo on the Harfields site is a bit small but you may be able to get some idea how they look with 1/72nd figs nearby.

Viking ship

Hi the Bum/Smer viking ship model appears to be the venerable old Aurora Kit from 1962 in a new package,check out the figurehead, originally inspired by the film the vikings from 1958 with kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis,a classic....
other trivia-the Anglo Saxon castle featured in the film is french and sports several later modifications to its defences including Gunports! Great Location though....The "anglo saxons" have mail made from STRING but the Throne hall scene costumes arnt bad...
In retrospect your probarbly better of waiting for Emhars effort for something hopefully more accurate