Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Big Box" Sets vs "Play Sets"

dAVE, gUESS THE THREE OLDER SETS yURI MENTIONED WILL BE rUSSIAN gRENADIER,iNFANTRY AND aRTILLERY. Cost must be US $45 region.

Re: Re: "Big Box" Sets vs "Play Sets"

Hi Hank,

Good to hear from you.

If what you say is correct, I would rather see a mix of 2 sets for each side of a conflict in a Big Box. In today's dollars, I think a kid has a pretty good chance of getting his father to pay out $35-40 on an "impulse purchase" for a complete Big Box battle set. But it would be difficult to get Dad to pay out $70-$80 for 2 Big Boxes representing one side each of a conflict. Instead of 2 Big Boxes for a complete battle, a kid may be forced to choose 2 single set boxes (USD $20) so he has both sides, and it makes Dad happier - durn!

I hope someday the S*R Team re-considers making Accessories such as the Great Redoubt or Trenches to also include in the Big Boxes, along with a new Command set, so we get 2 new and 2 old sets.

What would really be great would be a Big Box with 4 completely new sets in it! (hint, hint)

As for me, I use 2 mail order sellers in the U.S. The 071-Medieval Britian set sells for USD $35-$37.95, less discounts, no tax, plus S&H. Thats roughly a 13% to 23% discount (almost a free box) depending on the shipping, and I don't have to drive anywhere burning up gasoline.

I always buy 12 or more Cavalry and Infantry sets I really like, but only 2 or so Command sets, so I'll cut back my first set purchases by 2 or more and wait for the Big Box Command sets to build up my numbers. No problem for me.

But, who knows. Great talking to you. Now it's your turn again!

Dads and hobbies

Dear Dave + forum type parents

Your dad scenario doesn't mention that the dads (who are big kids, most are anyway) get as much enjoyment as anybody out of this type of purchase. He will probably spend a little more as a result.
We love our children and sometimes we have to buy things that do not strike a chord with us. Begrudging indulgence that we parents believe will be karmicly repaid. The Ipod or Playstation comes out of the "community chest" so less for 1/72nd scale figures for big kid dad.
The slightest inkling that offspring are remotely interested in this hobby of ours should be rewarded by the kind of over weaning normally bestowed on child prodigies or baby pageant beauty queens.

I suppose what I am saying is don't skimp on your sons' or daughters' hobbies if they happily coincide with yours, it won't last so give him/her that bit extra. They deserve it for such intelligence and discernment.

Psst-when they grow out of it you get the figures anyway and these escape wifey's attention or alimony (I think is what it is called in the US). A good argument btw for kids to use with dads who are reluctant to part with their money. The Alimony Ploy is a good gambit but the timing has to be good and not to be used if mom and dad still hold hands or wear matching clothes or say "I love you" more than once a year.
In the end adults are likely to be customers or purchasers of the big box whether it is for a kid or not. The info and appeal of the box has got to be a big factor affecting sales.