Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Civilian Figures - No politics, please!

I would certainly like to see civilians - WWII needs refugees - particularly important for the Western Europe campaign of 1940 as they can have an important effect upon unit movement. Personally, I would like to see them in hard plastic with hands that could hold seperate weapons, so they can be unarmed civilians or resistance (in fact they could also have uses as revolutionaries (eg Spartacists) or nationalists (eg IRA). The other must is the Medieval Civilians, exactly how Valdemar are planning them i.e. seperate weapons or dual purpose pose so they can be non-militant or harvesting. It would be nice to see a reasonable proportion of women in a medieval set (not just posh ones like the Italeri jousting set). The civilians would have so many uses - peasant levy, Ciompi, Jaquerie, Peasant's revolt, sailors etc. So please Valdemar and Caesar can you try and progress the Medieval peasants set as it is desperately needed and, the old Airfix Robin Hood guys are getting tired having been in constant employment for the last forty years - they need a well earned retirement!

Re: Re: Re: Civilian Figures - No politics, please!

Again, everyone ... careful what kinds of WWII civilians you want people making. I recall someone on this forum once fantacizing about civilian victims for German firing squads. Somehow, I just don't think that sort of thing should be encouraged. If a sick soul out there wants to do a diorama based on "The Painted Bird" or "Schindler's List", the least we can do is force them to do conversions!

Re: Civilian Figures - No politics, please!

I couldn't agree more that we need some civilian sets to fill some serious gaps in the 1/72 scale. Civilians and non combat personnel are very important to diorama makers, as well as some wargame scenarios. I think there is definitely a market for them, why do people still buy the old Airfix Robin Hood set after all these years? It isn't because of the great quality of the figures, it's because no one else makes peasant figures.

Civilians can be made to stretch over long periods of time and locals. For instance, how much difference is there between a English peasant from the 9th century and a Russian peasant from the 16th? Not much, and painting and conversions can take care of many of the smaller details. Here are some sets I think would be great additions to the plastic 1/72 scale.

1.Ancient Civilians-Generic enough that they can be used for Rome, Carthage, Greece, etc.

2.Medieval/Renaissance Peasants-Generic enough to be used throughout Europe from the dark ages to the early renaissance.

3. Ancient Sailors-I know there is a set of Roman sailors from Orion, but another set couldn't hurt. It seems Zvezda would benefit most from producing such figures, how else can one fully appreciate their great ancient galleys without them? It seems strange that they would produce the ships and not the figures to go with them.

4.Medieval/Renaissance Sailors-Same issue here with Zvezda, who is supposed to man their Crusader and Hansa cogs? Imex is supposed to be releasing an Explorers set, hopefully it will fill some of the void.

5.Medieval/Renaissance Merchants-This could include carts, beasts of burden, boxes and crates in addition to figures. Again, maybe the Imex Explorer set will cover some of this territory.

6.Bedouin/Arab Caravan-This could be produced to range from ancient to more modern times, and could include tents and other accessories, as well as camels.

Hopefully we will see some of these types of sets produced in the future. Letting the companies know what types of figures we want, will make the chances of such sets ever seeing the light of day much more likely.

Civilian Figures

I support strongly armed and unarmed civilian sets for the ancient period, medieval, 1600s, 1700s, Napoleonics pecause some civillians took the figth and others didnt. I saw on DVD French 2002 mastrepeace ,,Napoleon´' C.Clavert and J.Malchovits and there were lots on acaisons were people were armed. Naps var in Sapin women with guns etc .So we REALLY need such sets.