Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crimean

There are still plenty of Crimean sets to make, and I am looking forward to Strelets filling all the obvious gaps in this range. The joy of Strelets is you know they will make a decent range for a conflict. Maybe not all at once, but in time. GNW continues to develop, and while there are no dates the Crimean future sets look good too, so by all means do some ACW etc, but keep the other ranges ticking over too please.

Re: Re: Crimean

Hi Jon,

why must it be again an ACW-set? Boring uniforms in blue and gray. If ACW than maybe for 1861 with a lot of exotics. There are too much sets for the ACW and French napoleonic infantry and Guards on the market.

Why not filling the gaps with other wars or lesser known armies for existing wars? I can't see more ACW figures, while the Crimean war, 1870/71, a lot of colonial wars and other wars of the 19th century are still not complete or uncovered.

Beside this I would like to see more Crimean figures in the future. Turks, French cavalry etc.

cheers
uwe

Re: Re: Re: Crimean

I disagree with boring uniforms, they are great and what is missed in ACW you told again and again, like no Yanks for the Western theatre, no dismounted cavalry, no good loading poses, etc., there are a lot of gaps to fill.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Crimean

Hi Carnot,

so let us aggree, that we don't aggree. Western yanks in hat insteadt of kepi. As for good poses this is not only a problem of ACW.

Beside this, nearly every 20mm metal soldier manufactor made ACW figures. I have a lot of dismounted cavalry.

IN my mind it is more important to make figures for other wars than produce the same unit again and again.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crimean

Dear Uwe,

Carnot is correct in saying the ACW are not boring. I love simplicity, just as much as I love the Anglo-Boer Wars simple colors and uniforms.

Carnot and I are talking about 1/72 soft plastic figurines. I, myself, have no interest in 20mm metal soldiers which other manufactors have made of ACW figures.

In truely soft plastic, there are no great mounted or dismounted sets of ACW Cavalry ever produced, and very few good infantry (Imex and Esci/Italeri are ballet dancers).

Equally, as Napoleonic fans want better sets from Zvezda to upgrade the old Airfix stuff, some of us want upgrades too of the older inferior American Civil War sets, and in the original great colors of "Blue & Gray."

There are plenty of sets never produced for the ACW theme, as the S*R sculptor who produced the 2 sets just released has exposed to the world. We are ready for more, and ready for the best.

Please wish us good luck!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crimean

Dear Dave,

of course I wish you luck. And it is true, some of the older figures have no good poses.

I have a long wishlist of figures to come in the future. If you like dismounted plastic cavalry - why not. For the napoleonic wars dismounted husars would be interesting too.

But do we need more sets of "ordinary" ACW figures, when there are other important wars for which we can't get any figures.

Let us stay with wars of the United states. What is about the Mexican-American war, Spanish-American war (ok BUM and Cäsar), SYW in America, War of 1812. So why must it be always the ACW? Maybe because this war is popular in the States till now?

cheers
Uwe

ACW v Other Wars

We need more ACW sets like we need used to need more more French Nap infantry or and we currently need more French Nap Cuirassiers. Truth is that we don't "need" any of them, but there is a great demand for them which for manufacturers is almost the same thing.

Why ACW and not other pre 20th century American wars? Certainly far more Americans were impacted (positively or negatively) by the war than by the Mexican War (as it used to be known in an Amero-centric pre PC era), the Spanish American War, the War of 1812 or the French & Indian War (again an Amero-centric name). The ACW certainly still holds the record for the most casualties and deaths of any American war in gross numbers (can't speak for % of population). It also produced a fair share of "romantic" literature that exposed those outside the US to the war, creating some market for the ACW outside the US as well.

Should those other wars be produced? If there is a market for them YES. Should manufacturers hold off producing new ACW sets to cover other wars, American and otherwise? Only if they hold off on producing WWII and Nap sets for the same reasons.

There is a big need for ACW

I like variations in my units, e.g. I don't like to use for a marching unit one single pose of one set and then have 120 in my unit - all clones.
Instead I like to mike the same poses of different manufactueres so 6 different marching men from 6 different manufactueres look that much better, then add some head swaps and it even looks better.
The now dead range of Woodenfelds had about 40 different soliers - in just one pose of Right Shoulder shift, war a joy to paint up a unit like this and have 40 individual characters.

Re: There is a big need for ACW

Yes, I've got your point. You are right with this.
I have the full Woodensfeld range, so I know what you mean.

BTW, Woddensfeld stopped because of bad health in his family. But in case someone wants to order figures from his old ranges, there is still an opportunity to get the figures from him.

Beside this plastic-sets with just marching or standing in reserve figures would be needed on the market. For every war!

Re: Re: Re: Crimean

Hi Uwe

I only mentioned ACW because Strelets said they would be doing some as I remember. Personally I am not a big fan of ACW for the reasons you mention, but I am happy for them to be done so long as other things are done also.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Crimean

Hi Jon,

no problem. I just want to say, that there is a lot of history for which there are no figures avaiable.
Other wars are overfilled in my mind.

But you are right, I am happy for every new set too as long as there are other things being produced.

cheers
uwe

Re: Crimean British

René,

You can use Italeri Napoleonic French Horse Artillery for RHA with some conversion, except that the wheels of the guns have to be replaced by bigger ones, for example from the Revell Napoleonic British Foot Artillery.

Bye
Zsolt