Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Napoleonic/AWI French Artillery

The main difference between the 1776 and 1779 uniforms for waggon drivers appears to have been that the latter had no lapels. So, converting the Napoleonic drivers into Ancien Régime drivers will probably require more than just swaping heads. To get an idea of how the French wagon drivers were dressed in the field I recommend you try to find an illustration of Van Blarenberghes's "Siege of Yorktown" paintings. He painted two versions. The 1784 version on the far left shows a caisson d'ammunition drawn by a four-horse team accompanied by a driver. The 1786 version has another vehicle also accompanied by a driver who appears to be wearing roughly the same dress as the driver from the other painting. Clearly, the dress is quite different from that shown in the Osprey title (cloaks?). A close-up of the 1786 version is shown here:

http://www.rouillac.com/images/cheverny2003/Yorktown1.jpg

Best regards

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Napoleonic/AWI French Artillery

Not cloaks, but redingotes, rather.

Re: Re: Re: Napoleonic/AWI French Artillery

Where do you see them, I only see gunners, according to my knowledge there were no uniformed artillery drivers till about 1800.

Re: Re: Re: Napoleonic/AWI French Artillery

I see now, not in the colour plates but on page 16, interesting, I have to look at other sources.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Napoleonic/AWI French Artillery

Perhaps, one should try to find out more about the drivers' status. Possibly, drivers were still contracted civilians but nevertheless were issued uniforms (similar to musicians)?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Napoleonic/AWI French Artillery

Strange, the "Driver" in the Osprey has infantry gaiters and doesn't look at all as a mounted train soldier - the whip aside

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Napoleonic/AWI French Artillery

I agree , that'2 why I initially thought that he is a wagon driver but I still use the same uniform details for the mounted drivers. Also with those long handled whips used to control the unridden horse its not easy to know the difference. In my case for the wagon drivers I have the Italeri Napoleonic French although I think that the large cavalry boots need to be carved down to represent gaiters. Little by little I am getting this AWI French army together. Now I want the corresponding Spanish to retake Minorca from the British with the aid of the French. With these armies I can never understand the interest if you are a non-painter since my joy comes in part from the variety of colours used in the various armies.

Best regards,

Malcolm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Napoleonic/AWI French Artillery

At that stage of research I would not dare to come to any conclusion for artillery train in the AWI.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Napoleonic/AWI French Artillery

Also on page 18 as a back view of the uniform where it is mentioned that in 1779 there were no lapels. I think that maybe although not officially part of the army they may have been uniformed. A little like when you go into the big department stores that the staff wear a uniform so that you can locate them quickly.

Best regards,

Malcolm