Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Buckskin Infantry & War Of 1812

Obviously with the current war going on in Ukraine there are no expectations for Strelets, but that aside I would also like to express my interest in such sets. The buckskin infantry wouldn’t be quite as all encompassing as you’d imagine mostly due to one thing: hats. Tricorn buckskinned men would be perfect for French and Indian as well as AWI, but but by 1812 you’d be hard pressed to find a tricorn anywhere. At that point another set with slouch hats and/or top hats would be appropriate which means that you could slightly update the weaponry and equipment as well. I completely agree with you on the War of 1812 however. Us Americans tend to model the Napoleonic Wars quite regularly, and I know that having our own Napoleonic army represented is something that many of my friends and I would enjoy. I find the uniforms quite crisp and beautiful, and as you mentioned there’s already all the sets you’d need for an adversary already available. I think that a few infantry sets, a ranger set, some dragoons, artillery, and summer militia would be very adequate. Perhaps someday maybe. Until then we can dream on.

Asher, I hear you on the tricorn & considered leaving it out, until I remember a certain Confederate General wore one in the ACW. Plus, Hollywood saw fir to have Dennis Quaide's Sam Houton wear one in "The Alamo" film. I should have included a top hat as well. Anything is possible in the American frontier. LOL! I was expecting arguements over powder horns not hats!

Hi All
suggest you have a look here http://plasticsoldierreview.com/Periods.aspx
there you'll find many sets that have useful figures for War of 1812, from a variety of makers , like Atlantic/Nexus , Imex, Bum etc, like Lewis & Clark set, Alamo Defenders set, Davy Crockett sets ,Pirates sets, and so on, all have figures that with a good paint job , slight conversions , head swops should give you the figures you need
over many decades i've refought many actions from War of 1812, Burning of White House (very successful) Battle of New Orleans (fought this at least 5 times over the years, British Victory !!! 4 times!!!)

Strelets , we must be patient due to the horrors in Ukraine happening there now , and we must pray for Ukraine Victory and the safety of all Strelets team, and their families
cheers Old John

Hi Old John;

I'm well aware of the many sets I can gleen irregulars & militia from, but it doesn't help me with regular. Alas, my eye sight is failing so swopping & painting are no longer options. I must hope that maybe some day, the prejuduce against US soldiers, battles & wars will end, before I do & some US conflicts will get their due.

I'm not insensitive tp the Uktane conflict. Had 'sleepy Joe' not "won" the election, this would never have happened. I've been involved in tiny troops for over 60yrs & know it'll take years for anything new to get made. I'm simply offering some suggestions for the future.

I agree. There are many ways to piecemeal various units together but none are very efficient or all that satisfying. For regulars in the past I had used British line infantry with Belgian shakos because the uniforms genuinely are very similar. The one inexcusable difference, however, are the backpacks. And believe me, removing and molding 40+ backpacks for one box of men is quite time consuming. At this point I’d much rather be patient and wait what will likely be years instead of trying to build a whole army of conversions. I feel your pain Bert!

As for the remarks about the prejudice against US soldiers and conflicts, I actually think that there might be some merit to that statement. I also think that it can be easily explained though. We simply don’t have any big American companies in the hobby. We had IMEX who for a while was plugging gaps in American representation, but since then we’ve had nobody. European companies, especially Eastern European ones, likely won’t choose a small American conflict over one of their own small obscure conflicts. Redbox covering the Cossack rebellion recently is a good example of this. Luckily Strelets did take the plunge and provide some badly needed sets for the American Civil War and for that I am very grateful. But I do dream of the day when we get a 20+ set range covering the American Revolution, and at least a handful of sets covering the War of 1812 as well as the Mexican American War.

see
https://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2394
Strelets the only maker i can find that did a plastic set for 1812, surprised that HAT, an American have never produced any USA troops for 1812
cheers Old John

Old John;

I talked to Hat when they first came about, regularly. They had ZERO interest in US sets. Sure they tossed out an odd set once in awhile, but nothing serious. They talked recently about ASW & AWI but so far only 1 set of ACW, not counting their early Zouaves.

I would urge participants in these threads to refrain from their biased political comments about American Presidents. My ACTUAL President (the one still in office) DID NOTHING TO START THE WAR IN UKRAINE....and is not the one blocking the arms and supplies our Ukranian brothers need to fight for their country. He is not the one who kisses up to Putin. On a more positive note concerning buckskin, I just managed to lasso an unopened set of Italeri's Indian Warriors. I can't wait to introduce them to my sets of Strelet's Tecumseh Warriors. Dreaming of the day when there will be multiple sets of native tribes and mountain men. There are so very few available.