Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OK, So Here's Where I'm at ... !!!

No worries with thinking aloud GC!

It’s great to read about your thoughts and ideas. It’s especially useful to get a ‘user’s assessment’ of these as terrain pieces. Can’t beat a review from someone putting them to the test.

Designing (scenarios), planning (dreaming) and setting up are a big part of the interest for mine. Recently, I have been reviewing my orders of battle for some of the major Napoleonic battles fixing a few errors and making them more detailed. I’ve adjusted my ‘ultimate’ scale and so have found that I’m short a few figures. Oh dear…!😁

Keep setting up, planning, dreaming and telling us about it. We await photos with bated breath. I’ve don’t think that there is any way to post images directly here. You’ll have to put them on a site somewhere and use the image link.

Cheers James

Dear James,

Gosh, it's so nice to read your kind and thoughtful words. I've rummaged through my library (Hobby Drawers) and couldn't find my bridge sets so I re-ordered two more, but it takes about two + weeks from China, so for now, I found some pictures Harris of HaT fame posted to his website back in 2008.

You are right about not being able to post directly to this Forum so for now here's a link to one of my older projects. By the way, you so kindly posted a description for us of how to do upload pics for posting back in July of 2020. I saved a copy/print of your instructions, thank you!

A link to my version of the 1966 Beau Geste movie fort. I made it, took pics, never played with it and kept it high on a bookshelf for safety. Then I adopted a street kitten and she jumped up and slept in my Ft. Zinderneuf every night until she outgrew it. She seemed to know Foreign Legion Forts were actually homes for those of us who needed a fresh start in life. The highest and best use of my toy fort - Who could guess she'd know! Link:

http://www.hat.com/Othr8/Clay01P.html

Please enjoy, and it's Friday, so have a great weekend! VIP to Ukraine

OK guys, my "A Bridge Too Far" really is too far away. In fact the new order for the bridge itself, as they say, is somewhere on a boat between China and here. My fault!

But what I do have in my possession is, Chinese Gordon's, or Gordon Pasha's Khartoum's Palace pieces for this playset. Charles Gordon's Palace, where he supposedly was killed by the Mahdist Warriors (like in the Charlton Heston movie "Khartoum") was actually much more modest than the building of today. The rebuilt structure is today called The Republican Palace, or The Presidential Palace. There are enough illustrations of the Gordon Pasha Palace original to make a pretty accurate Playset, I think.

Here is the set from China which I will use five (5) of these on a base to represent this now gone, yet fabulous landmark. This is exactly 1/72 scale. I'll explain more when I've got some pics done. Link:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804441266524.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.45.6f5c18028EGPuY&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Link to "Khartoum" movie opening about the Nile River that is majestic!:

https://www.tcm.com/video/1040078/khartoum-1966-movie-clip-leave-egypt-behind/

VIP to Ukraine and the rest of us! - GC

Hi Garrison, thanks for sharing. Khartoum was a great movie! I noticed the Egyptian army flag in the movie had 1 x star? I think the 3 x star version was used during Gordon Pasha's tenure? Am I right or wrong?

Hi Baratheon,

The question regarding the Egyptian flag is a good one. There is a photograph of Kitchener's men raising the Egyptian and British flags over Gordon Pasha's Palace after taking back Khartoum in 1898. The Egyptian flag clearly only has one star. I also looked at the BritishBattles.com site and all the medals given out during the battles at that time only have one star also. A photo of the Palace in 1936, though, clearly has 3 stars on the Egyptian flag.

In britishbattles.com, Battle of Abu Klea, 1885 when Gordon was killed the Campaign Medals also have only 1 star. Scroll down to the bottom.

https://www.rct.uk/collection/2942145/the-flag-raising-ceremony-in-the-ruins-of-the-governor-generals-palace-khartoum-4

https://www.alamy.com/sudan-khartoum-the-palace-from-the-river-side-drive-ca-1936-image370960764.html

But if you look in Wikipedia.com, they show a flag with 3 stars which was used up until 1885 when Khartoum fell to the Mahdists.

So I'm going to guess that from 1885 until at least 1898 the flag only had one star. That's what I'll put on my Playset Palace anyhow, but could be wrong.

So, I'm no expert on the history of flags and I'm only making assumptions by looking up any kind of pictorial evidence. I can only hope it helps, but please don't hold me to this.

Cheers and good luck - GC

Thanks Garrison, this was helpful. I also lean towards your theory about time-periods used for the 2 flags being right. I was always surprised to learn The Sudan-Mahdist war consisted of several campaigns over a 18 year period. A fascinating time in history.